COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Status: Received royal assent in 2019.
Ministry responsible: Municipal Affairs
New legislation will help municipalities attract investment and development by giving them the power to offer stronger property tax incentives to business and industry:
- The Municipal Government (Property Tax Incentives) Amendment Act – received royal assent June 28, 2019
- The Municipal Government (Machinery and Equipment Tax Incentives) Amendment Act – received royal assent December 5, 2019
These multi-year tax incentives give municipalities the tools they need to encourage economic development by reducing the burden of starting a new business, and providing more incentives to redevelop brownfield properties and revitalize communities.
The Municipal Government (Property Tax Incentives) Amendment Act:
- allows municipalities to decide if, and how, to implement the tax incentives by passing a single bylaw that will:
- offer incentives to reduce, exempt or defer the collection of property taxes for non-residential properties for up to 15 years, with the option for renewal
- establish an eligibility criteria and application process to streamline tax incentive offers, instead of requiring a separate council resolution or bylaw for each property
The Municipalities Government Amendment Act (Machinery and Equipment Tax Incentives):
- allows municipalities to pass a bylaw enabling them to reduce or eliminate property taxes for up to 15 years on machinery and equipment
These changes make Alberta a highly attractive destination for investment by providing one of the longest municipal tax incentive timelines in North America:
- Saskatchewan allows property tax incentives for up to 5 years
- B.C. allows them for up to 10 years
- Louisiana offers 5-year incentives with an option to renew for an additional 5 years
- Texas offers local tax incentives for up to 10 years
- The Municipal Government (Property Tax Incentives) Amendment Act came into effect June 28, 2019
- The Municipalities Government Amendment Act (Machinery and Equipment Tax Incentives) came into effect December 5, 2019
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.