Professional Governance (PG) is responsible for 9 Acts which govern 23 self-regulating professional organizations.
PG works closely with Professional Regulatory Organizations (PROs) to ensure they serve and protect the public interest.
Self-regulate your profession
Contact Professional Governance to request if your profession can become self-regulated.
Toll–free in Alberta: 310-0000
Professional Governance duties
Professional Governance's responsibilities include:
- Providing policy advice, interpretation and direction to PROs, government and other stakeholders on professional legislation.
- Developing legislative standards designed to protect the well-being, safety and property of Albertans.
- Ensuring public interest is maintained when reviewing new or amended legislative proposals from PROs.
- Facilitating the resolution of issues between PROs.
- Making recommendations to government on applications from associations seeking self-regulation.
- Advising the public on the legislative responsibilities of PROs.
- Ensuring that the public interest is served, through the appointment of public members to PRO councils, boards and committees.
Professional Governance is not responsible for legislation which governs Alberta’s health, teaching and legal professions.
Request changes to legislation
Speak with the Executive Director and/or Registrar of your PRO to discuss the change.
These individuals may be able to offer you some insight as to whether or not that change has been suggested in the past.
You can also contact us for more information about making changes to existing legislation.
Protecting public interest
Legislation gives PROs the authority to ensure their members:
- meet educational and training requirements
- provide safe, ethical and competent services
- follow prescribed codes of conduct
- have appropriate complaint, investigative and disciplinary processes
Current Acts and PROs
Engineers and Geoscientists
- Engineering and Geoscience Professions Act
Foresters and Forest Technologists
- Regulated Forestry Profession Act
Other non-health professionals
- Professional and Occupational Associations Registration Act
- Alberta Human Ecology and Home Economist Association
- Supply Chain Management Association Alberta
- Alberta Professionals Planners Institute
- Association of the Chemical Profession of Alberta
- Institute of Certified Management Consultants of Alberta
- Society of Local Government Managers of Alberta
- Alberta Society of Professional Biologists
- Electrical Contractors Association of Alberta
- Association of School Business Officials of Alberta
- Alberta Assessors’ Association
- Alberta Shorthand Reporters Association
- Canadian Information Processing Society of Alberta
- Alberta Association of Landscape Architects
To connect with Professional Governance:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
3rd Floor, Labour Building
10808 - 99 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 0G5