Public sector pension plan joint governance
Effective March 1, 2019, some public sector pension plans transitioned to a joint governance structure. Under joint governance, employee and employer groups share control of plan design and responsibility for the financial health of the plan.
Learn more about joint governance of public sector pension plans.
Institutions offering locked-in pension products
All banks, credit unions, trust companies and insurance companies offering the following products to customers must be on the Superintendent’s List of Financial Institutions offering locked-in pension products, in order to accept transfers of locked-in funds:
- Locked-in Retirement Accounts (LIRAs)
- Life Income Funds (LIFs)
- Locked-in Retirement Income Funds (LRIFs)
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
How to be included on the list
To be acknowledged on the list, the financial institution must file the following prescribed certification form with the Superintendent's Office:
- Application for Inclusion on List of Acknowledged Financial Institutions (PDF, 161 KB) (Form 22, effective January 1, 2015)
Once approved to offer Alberta LIF and LIRA contracts, a copy of the appropriate LIRA or LIF addendum must be provided to LIRA and LIF owners. You can also find these documents on our Forms page.
Current list of financial institutions offering locked-in pension products
Pension plans registered in Alberta
Annual pensions statistics reports
Sign up for updates
Pension plans registered under the Employment Pension Plans Act (EPPA)
To connect with the Office of the Alberta Superintendent of Pensions:
Alberta Superintendent of Pensions
Alberta Treasury Board and Finance
Financial Sector Regulation and Policy
402 Terrace Building
9515 107 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2C3
Public sector pensions
Contact the following for information on:
- Alberta Teachers’ Pension Plans: Alberta Teachers’ Retirement Fund Board
- Local Authorities Pension Plan: LAPP Contact
- Public Service Pension Plan: PSPP Contact
- Special Forces Pension Plan: SFPP Contact
- Universities Academic Pension Plan: UAPP Contact
- All other Alberta Public Sector Pension Plans: Alberta Pensions Services Corporation
- Federal pension plans: Canada Pension Plan or Old Age Security