We recognize that access to appropriate and timely palliative and end-of-life care is important. This is why the Alberta government committed $20 million for palliative and end-of-life care initiatives over a 4-year period to address these priorities:
- raise public awareness of palliative care and how and when to access it
- develop effective caregiver supports to support Albertans in their home and community
- establish and implement palliative care education, training, and standards for health professionals
- continue to shift from hospital to community-based home and hospice care
In 2020, approximately $9 million was committed to fund grant projects and health initiatives that address a number of these priority areas.
There was a public engagement on palliative and end-of-life care services and programs in Alberta to identify what is working well, and where gaps remain. The palliative and end-of-life care engagement final report summarizes the engagement and recommends how to allocate the remaining $11 million of funding.
Closed. Deadline for applications and project proposals was January 7, 2022.
Announced in November 2021, the government issued a grant call for project proposals in 4 priority areas that include earlier access, community supports and services, education and training, and research and innovation.The Government of Alberta allocated the remaining $11 million as follows:
- earlier access: $1 million to $2 million
- education and training or community supports and services: $7 million to $8 million
- research and innovation: $1 million to $2 million
The deadline for submissions was January 7, 2022.
Twenty-five project submissions were selected that will improve the delivery of supports and services for Albertans with a life-limiting illness.
Palliative and End-of-Life Care project list and descriptions (PDF, 331 KB).
The successful projects will be completed by March 31, 2024.
Connect with the Palliative and End-of-Life Care program:
Email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.