Under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP), the Out-of-Country Health Services Committee (Committee) considers applications for funding of insured medical, oral surgical, and/or hospital services that are not available in Canada for eligible Albertan patients with valid AHCIP coverage.
How to apply
Only a licensed Alberta physician or dentist can complete and submit the application on behalf of their eligible Albertan patient who hold valid AHCIP coverage.
Step 1: Complete the application form
The Out-of-Country Health Services application form or referral letter must include:
- the health services or treatment needed
- expected duration of the initial out-of-country health services and the dates when the health services will be provided
- the number and frequency of expected out-of-country follow-up visits, if any
- address of the out-of-country facility where the health services will be provided
- name and specialty of the out-of-country physician who will provide or coordinate the health services
- the arrangements made for follow-up care in Alberta or elsewhere in Canada
Step 2: Reason for funding request
Include the reason for seeking funding for out-of-country health services and at least one of the following to support that reason:
- documentation confirming that relevant health services in Alberta and elsewhere in Canada have been fully utilized
- documentation confirming that the health service is not available in Alberta or elsewhere in Canada
- an explanation for why health services that are available in Alberta or elsewhere in Canada are not being utilized
Step 3: Patient’s health status
Include the patient’s recent health summary relevant to the health service funding request. The summary must include:
- the clinical diagnosis relevant to the application
- any health services previously provided for the condition, when and where they were provided, and the outcomes
- copies of existing relevant findings or reports from specialists or consultants in the field of medicine or dentistry relevant to the condition for which funding of health services is requested
- copies of relevant diagnostic and laboratory reports
- additional health services considered or explored but not pursued and the reason(s) why, if applicable
Step 4: Relevant information
Include any information relevant to the application.
The Committee does not have access to any electronic health records. The Committee can only review information physically submitted with the application. Please submit all information relevant to the services requested.
Do not include invoices, receipts, or any other information related to the costs of out-of-country services with the application.
Health information is collected and used by the Committee or the Appeal Panel under sections 20 and 27 of the Health Information Act and the Out-of-Country Health Services Regulation for the purpose of determining the patient’s eligibility for funding under the Regulation.
Direct all inquiries regarding the collection of this information to the Committee Chair.
Step 5: Submit the application
Send the application form, letters, and supporting documents to:
Chair, Out-of-Country Health Services Committee
PO Box 1360, Station Main
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 2N3