Passenger transportation service providers may require an Operating Authority Certificate. These services may include charter, scheduled service, private, industrial or non-profit bus operations.

In addition to obtaining an Operating Authority Certificate, carriers from outside of Alberta may require a Safety Fitness Certificate from their home jurisdiction.

Note: A commercial vehicle does not require an Operating Authority Certificate to transport passengers when designed by the manufacturer with a seating capacity of 15 or fewer passengers, including the driver, and operated as a taxi that provides on-demand service.

Operating authority application forms

Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?

Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:

  1. Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
  2. Launch Adobe Reader.
  3. Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.