Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Ongoing growth in metropolitan regions like Calgary and Edmonton:
- increases the demand for services and infrastructure
- puts pressure on natural and built environments
- creates opportunities for economic prosperity
The province has established growth management boards for the Calgary and Edmonton metropolitan regions to help ensure regional collaboration and coordinated decision making.
These growth management boards work to:
- promote long-term sustainability
- ensure efficient land use, including environmentally responsible land use planning and growth management
- develop coordinating policies for regional infrastructure investment and service delivery
- promote economic well-being and competitiveness
- develop public engagement policies
- develop growth and servicing plans that guide planning and service delivery for the regions
The boards include:
- the core municipality (Calgary or Edmonton)
- all adjacent rural municipalities
- all urban municipalities with more than 5,000 citizens
Calgary Metropolitan Region Board
The Calgary Metropolitan Region Board consists of representatives from 8 municipalities mandated to develop a long term plan for managed, sustainable growth in the Calgary region.
- City of Airdrie
- City of Calgary
- City of Chestermere
- Town of Cochrane
- Municipal District of Foothills
- Town of High River
- Town of Okotoks
- Rocky View County
For more information, please see :
Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board
The Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board consists of representatives from 13 municipalities mandated to develop a long term plan for managing growth in the Edmonton region.
- City of Beaumont
- Town of Devon
- City of Edmonton
- City of Fort Saskatchewan
- City of Leduc
- Leduc County
- Town of Morinville
- Parkland County
- City of St. Albert
- City of Spruce Grove
- Town of Stony Plain
- Strathcona County
- Sturgeon County
For more information, please see:
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.