Completed in 1907, Calgary’s McDougall School was the location of Alberta’s first normal school. These schools were used for the training of Alberta teachers until 1945. This early 20th century three-storey sandstone building was also one of the first major public buildings constructed in the province. Designed by Provincial Architect Allan Merrick Jeffers to reflect the Beaux-Arts style, the building was intended to make a significant statement about Alberta’s future.
Now known as McDougall Centre — Southern Alberta Government Centre, this elegant historic structure is listed on the Alberta Register of Historic Places. Today it serves as Alberta government office space and a centre for government meetings and events in Southern Alberta. Public visits can be arranged by request.
Read more about planning your visit.
The meeting rooms located in McDougall Centre are used for government and not-for-profit organization functions. They are not available for private events such as weddings.
Wedding photos may be taken on the grounds of McDougall Centre. Bookings are not required. As such, groups taking photos are expected to use the grounds on a first-come, first-served basis.
Activities and events
McDougall Centre hosts special events for the public. Watch this space for upcoming activities.