Application period: closed
The Language Bursary Program for Teaching Indigenous Languages helps:
- Indigenous language instructors improve their language fluency, teaching skills and knowledge through a post-secondary education experience
- Alberta jurisdictions enhance their language teaching capacity and ability to support Indigenous students in revitalizing their language and culture
There are 5 bursaries of $2,500 for Alberta teachers, Elders or instructors to take an accredited post-secondary course in an Indigenous language or an Indigenous teaching method. Up to $2,500 more funding may be available for travel and accommodation expenses.
As a recipient, you:
- may use the award money at your discretion to recover course costs and related expenses
- must submit receipts for travel and accommodation not covered by the bursary to be considered for more funding to cover these expenses
Contact Teacher Qualifications Service at the Alberta Teachers' Association to learn more about language course salary qualification and assessment.
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person (visa students are not eligible)
- be an Alberta resident by meeting one of these conditions:
- one of your parents or legal guardians has maintained permanent residence in Canada for at least 12 consecutive months immediately prior to you starting post-secondary studies and residing in Alberta, or
- Alberta is the last place you lived for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to starting post-secondary studies, or
- you are married to an Alberta resident immediately prior to starting post-secondary studies
- have at least one year of experience teaching an Indigenous language in Alberta
- demonstrate a background in Indigenous language learning and culture, or have recently started studying an Indigenous language
- plan to take an accredited post-secondary course in an Indigenous language or an Indigenous language teaching method
Priority will be given to first time applicants. Applicants who received a bursary 5 years ago or earlier can re-apply.
The language development program must:
- be an accredited post-secondary credit course focusing on language, culture or instructional development
- be at least 3 weeks long
- start by September 1, 2019 and end no later than August 31, 2020
Courses should include additional scheduled, structured activities, such as:
- language conversation
- cultural activities
How to apply
Step 1. Download and fill out the application form
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Step 2. Prepare a statement of intent
This statement should explain your reasons for taking the program and be no longer than one page.
- this program will benefit your role as an Indigenous language instructor in Alberta and fit into your professional development or growth plan
- the bursary will impact your role in the Indigenous languages program and contribute to Indigenous language revitalization in your community
Step 3. Get an endorsement
The School Authority Endorsement section in the application needs to be completed by your:
- current or former school principal, or
- school authority
Step 4. Complete the application package
Your application package must include:
- a completed and signed application form
- signed School Authority Endorsement Form (page 1 and 2)
- a statement of intent
- a syllabus or brochure that describes the course:
Step 5. Submit the application package
Email your application package to email@example.com or mail it to the Alberta Education Language Teacher Bursary Program.
After you apply
A selection committee will choose recipients representing a variety of grade levels and languages based on the:
- applicant’s statement of intent
- program chosen
- school authority endorsement
If selected as a recipient, you must submit proof you completed the course indicated in your application to get the bursary. If you change courses after being selected, you will not get bursary funding.
Recipients will get a T4A from Alberta Education since the Language Bursary Program for Teaching Indigenous Languages is more than $500. This amount must be declared in Box 105 on your tax return.
The application period is closed.
Connect with the Alberta Education Language Teacher Bursary Program:
Language Teacher Bursary Program
8th floor, 10044 108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5E6