COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.

Labour mobility within Canada

Certified workers in regulated occupations can work anywhere in Canada without further training, testing or assessments.


Certain occupations are governed by provincial legislation regarding licensing/certification requirements. These include:

  • occupations, such as foresters, lawyers, teachers, etc.
  • trades, such as electricians, heavy equipment technicians, welders, machinists, millwrights, etc.

Domestic Trade Agreements

The Government of Alberta has signed 2 domestic trade agreements.

Canadian Free Trade Agreement

All provinces and territories have joined the federal government in signing the Canadian Free Trade Agreement (CFTA), which came into effect July 1, 2017, to make it easier for workers to access job opportunities anywhere in the country. The CFTA replaces the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT)

Guidelines are available (PDF, 462 KB) to help Canadian regulatory authorities understand the Labour Mobility Chapter of the CFTA and how to meet its obligations.

New West Partnership Trade Agreement

The provinces of Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan entered into the New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA), which also allows for certified workers in regulated occupations to have their qualifications recognized in each of the 4 provinces.

Alberta regulatory authorities

Labour mobility provisions of both domestic trade agreements specify Alberta’s labour mobility obligations for the transfer of certified workers across provincial or territorial lines.

Regulatory authorities through their certification of out of province workers, play a pivotal role in facilitating the movement and certification of workers to Alberta.

Governments that signed the NWPTA and the CFTA are also required to notify each other of anticipated changes to legislation that may affect out of province workers coming to their province/territory to work.

This may include:

  • changes to scopes of practice
  • regulating a new occupation
  • changes to existing legislation (acts, regulations, bylaws, rules, etc.)
  • creating a new membership category

To notify regulatory authorities and/or their government departments, you will need to:

Resources for regulatory authorities


Connect with Alberta Labour Mobility:

Phone: 780-422-5450 (Edmonton and area)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]

9th floor, 108 Street Building
9942 108 Street
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2J5

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.

You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.