COVID-19 remains a public health threat. Mandatory measures are in effect provincewide.

Incorporate a business or organization

There are several ways to set up the legal structure of your business or non-profit organization.

An email address is required when incorporating an Alberta or non-profit corporation or cooperative or registering a business name, or extra-provincial corporation or cooperative. The email address is also required when filing an annual return/report or when updating a corporation or cooperative address, attorney for service, business partner, or sole proprietor.

Annual return reminders are sent by email to corporations, non-profit organizations, limited liability partnerships, and cooperatives where there is an email address on record. Annual return reminders are sent about 2 weeks before the annual return is due. The reminders are sent by regular mail when there is no email address on file or when there is a notice because the previous year's annual return has not been filed. Directors of Alberta corporations receive copies of the outstanding annual return notice by regular mail.

Alberta corporations

Incorporating a corporation creates a legal ‘person’ that’s separate and distinct from its individual owners.

Out-of-province corporations

If your corporation was formed in another province or country, it must be registered to carry on business in Alberta.

Non-profit companies

Organizations can choose to incorporate a non-profit company when they want a legal structure that is similar to the structure of a for-profit corporation.

Religious societies

Religious organizations and congregations can incorporate so they can own the land where their house of worship or cemetery is located.


Similar to non-profit companies, organizations can incorporate a society for social, recreational and other useful purposes, but not for carrying on a business.

Alberta-based cooperatives

A cooperative is a business organization started by people who want to use services or buy goods as a group, have an equal say in how the business is run and share in any profits the business makes.

Out-of-province cooperatives

Out-of-province cooperatives operate like Alberta-based cooperatives, but have a different process in place for incorporation.

Register your Alberta corporation in BC, Manitoba or Saskatchewan

The New West Partnership Trade Agreement is a trade relationship between Alberta, British Columbia, and Manitoba, and Saskatchewan. The agreement makes it easier for corporations, limited partnerships and limited liability partnerships to register and operate across provincial borders.