Engagement status: Under review
Minister responsible: David Eggen
Alberta is committed to promoting an inclusive society built on a foundation of mutual respect. While we're making progress to combat racism, we know there is more work to be done.
Through two phases of engagement, Albertans shared their experiences and ideas on how the government can help people who experience racism.
Read Premier Notley’s mandate letter (PDF, 66 KB) to Minister David Eggen.
In 2017, Minister David Eggen met with more than 100 community organizations to gather ideas on how to combat racism and build a more inclusive Alberta. We also received feedback from almost 2,000 people through an online survey.
The feedback we received helped develop the Taking Action Against Racism report and action items.
Read the report:
- Taking Action Against Racism: What Albertans Told Us and What’s Next (English)
- Taking Action Against Racism: What Albertans Told Us and What's Next (Translated versions)
In the summer and fall of 2018, we visited communities across the province to discuss next steps and get additional feedback on the action items listed in the report: Two actions are currently underway:
- establishing an Anti-Racism Community Grant Program
- establishing the Anti-Racism Advisory Council to advise government on its work in addressing racism
Work continues to establish the following items:
- starting a foreign qualification recognition fund to broaden how we assess internationally trained workers
- expanding career mentorship programs to smaller communities
- creating a provincial hate crimes unit
- updating the curriculum to include materials focused on fighting racism
- expanding the number of languages students can learn in
- making sure Albertans know their rights
- making it easier for Albertans to access anti-racism resources
- reflecting Alberta as a government
- finding more ways to celebrate our diversity
Phase two engagement was completed in fall 2018. We are currently reviewing your feedback to help inform our next steps to combat racism.