COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
The Coordinated Community Response to Homelessness Task Force was established to find innovative ways to end recurring homelessness in our province and find long-term solutions to help those in need.
The task force members bring together a range of experience, expertise and interest in dealing with the wide array of issues related to homelessness.
The pandemic has increased the need for services to people experiencing homelessness, especially for those with complex needs. As our province begins to recover, it is important we look for better ways to serve and support Alberta’s vulnerable populations with a measured and consistent approach developed by experts and community leaders.
Results under review
Who is listening
Ministry of Community and Social Services
The task force will:
- look at how communities are impacted by homelessness
- conduct a thorough review of access to services, including shelter, food, financial assistance, health and recovery supports
- develop a coordinated and community-based model that responds to the individual and complex needs of vulnerable Albertans
Recommendations made by the task force will inform an action plan for province-wide implementation and an evaluation framework. This work is expected to be complete by the end of June 2022.
Task force members
The task force reflects a range of experience and expertise from across the province, and includes representatives from civil societies, academics and the private sector:
- Patricia Jones, co-chair, Calgary Homeless Foundation
- Dale McFee, co-chair, Edmonton Police Services
- Sandra Clarkson, Calgary Drop-In Centre (DI)
- Andre Corbould, City of Edmonton
- Holly Mah, Chinatown and Area Business Association
- Tricia Smith, Boyle McCauley Health Centre
- Kathy Christiansen, Alpha House
- Dave Jackson, Lealta Building Supplies
- Jordan Reiniger, Boyle Street Community Services
- Cheryl Whiskeyjack, Bent Arrow
- Carol Adair, University of Calgary
- Earl Thiessen, Oxford House
- Susan McGee, Homeward Trust
- Bruce Reith, Hope Mission
- Dr. Louis Hugo Francescutti, University of Alberta
- Michelle White-Wilsdon, Enoch Cree Nation
- Task force to develop homelessness action plan (November 17, 2021)
Last updated: November 17, 2021