EMERGENCY: Alberta has declared a Public Health Emergency to protect the health care system from COVID-19. Indoor social gatherings are the top source of transmission. All indoor social gatherings have now been banned. This ban will be enforced with $1,000 fines. Learn more
The Government of Alberta administers International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) and Pro Board-accredited testing and certification for municipal and industrial fire rescue services in Alberta.
We test and certify to the following National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards:
- 1001 Firefighter Levels I & II
- 1002 Driver/Operator, Pump Operator and Aerial Operator
- 1006 Technical Rescue Awareness, Rope Rescue I & II and Vehicle Rescue I
- 1021 Fire Officer Levels I & II
- 1031 Fire Inspector Levels I & II
- 1033 Fire Investigator Levels I
- 1041 Fire Service Instructor Levels I & II
- 1051 Wildland Firefighter Level I
- 1072 Hazardous Materials Awareness, Operations and Technician
In Alberta, employers decide what training and qualifications are needed to ensure the safety and competence of their employees. NFPA certification of fire service members is not required by the provincial government.