The Fines Enforcement Program recovers money owed to the Province of Alberta for:

  • overdue Criminal Code fines
  • Traffic Safety Act fines and tickets
  • no-cash bail forfeitures (federal, provincial)

There is no statute of limitations on court-ordered fines, tickets and forfeitures. All of these debts are payable regardless of their age.

Outstanding payments

You can determine how many outstanding fines or tickets have been registered in your name by contacting either:

To obtain a copy of your fine, ticket or bail forfeiture order, contact the court jurisdiction where the offense occurred.

Overdue fines and tickets
Not all overdue fines and traffic tickets are linked to motor vehicle registration, so certain fines might not show up when you renew your license or registration.

Making payments

Most Criminal Code fines or traffic tickets can be paid by credit or debit card at either:

Traffic tickets

You can also pay most traffic tickets online with a credit or debit card, depending on the age of the ticket. Some older tickets cannot be paid online at this time.

Pay your fine online

Criminal Code fines

You cannot pay Criminal Code fines online at this time. Payments for bail forfeiture debts can be made in 2 ways:

In person

Pay your fine at one of the Court of Queen’s Bench locations.


Make your cheque or money order payable to the “Government of Alberta.” Include the ticket or docket number with your payment.

Mail your payment to:

  • Fines Enforcement Program
    P.O. Box 11363
    Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3K6

Insufficient funds

If your cheque is returned due to insufficient funds, it’s likely that your bank will charge you an “NSF fee.”

You will need to make an immediate payment to cover the returned cheque. This payment must be in the form of certified funds, as will all future payments until the debt is paid in full. Contact your recoveries officer to make appropriate arrangements.

Overdue fines and tickets
All overdue fines and traffic tickets must be paid in full before your registry privileges will be restored.


We may only intercept income tax refunds, GST rebates and carbon levy rebates to satisfy overdue fines. We don’t take any child or family tax benefits.

However, we may issue garnishees on wages or bank accounts when payment arrangements have been broken.

It’s possible to lift a garnishee, but doing so depends on a number of factors, including your past cooperation and payment history. Contact your recoveries officer for more details.

Wage assignment

Depending on your employer, you may also be able to commence a ‘wage assignment,’ which is a way to make regular instalment payments against your fines.

If you’re interested in this option, you can discuss it by contacting your recoveries officer.

Instalment payments

Contact us and discuss the possibility of an instalment payment arrangement with your recoveries officer. If we accept, you must honour the arrangement – or we may take other steps to collect the debt.

Your debts will remain registered with the Canada Revenue Agency and Motor Vehicle Registries until the debt is paid in full.

Reinstating registry services

It may take up to 60 days for funds to be transferred from the Canada Revenue Agency to the Alberta government and applied against your account. If the funds from your income tax refund, GST rebate and carbon levy rebate are sufficient to satisfy all your overdue fines, your services will be reinstated once the payment is received by the court.

If you paid your fine or ticket at a courthouse, it make take 2 to 3 business days to process the payment and reinstate your registry services.

Despite clearing overdue fines and tickets with us, access to motor vehicle registry services may be withheld if you have other outstanding debts with the Alberta government, such as child support arrears.

Releasing your information

We can release fine, ticket and forfeiture information to others if we have your written permission on file. See the Contact section for information on where to mail or fax your authorization.

Deceased debtors

If we verify that a debtor is deceased, any overdue fines, tickets or forfeitures will be closed and all enforcement activity will stop. We may ask for a death certificate in order to expedite the closure process.


To connect with the Fines Enforcement Program:

Hours: 8:15 am to 12 pm, 1 pm to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)

Send us your question(s). It is helpful to include your:

  • name
  • date of birth
  • address
  • ticket number or docket number – if you know it

Email: jagfines.enforcement@gov.ab.ca

Fax: 780-415-6026

Pay by mail

You can pay us by mail. Send:

  • a cheque or money order made payable to the “Government of Alberta”
    • include your ticket or docket number


Fines Enforcement Program
PO Box 11363
Edmonton, Alberta  T5J 3K6


Fine payment