COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
The Small Communities Fund (SCF) program is now closed to new applications.
All funding is fully committed to eligible projects submitted and approved within the initial application intake.
As part of the New Building Canada Fund, confirmed in Federal Budget 2014, the SCF designates $94 million in federal funding to support infrastructure projects in Alberta communities with a population of 100,000 or less.
The SCF program continues the tradition of cost-sharing infrastructure investments among the 3 levels of government:
The SCF can be directed to infrastructure projects in the following categories:
- brownfield remediation and redevelopment
- connectivity and broadband
- disaster mitigation
- drinking water
- green energy
- highways and major roads
- local and regional airport
- public transit
- short line rail
- short sea shipping
- solid waste management
Eligible applicants included Alberta municipalities, improvement districts, Metis Settlements and the Townsite of Redwood Meadows. The SCF is now closed to applications.
- funding is a third federal, a third provincial and a third municipal
- minimum project funding is $50,000 per share or $150,000 in eligible project costs
- maximum project funding is $3,000,000 for each of the partners
SCF projects were selected based on a competitive process, with submitted applications evaluated against established criteria and projects with the highest ranked scores recommended for funding approval.
Materials and resources
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
- SCF Program Guidelines (includes Project Rating Guide)
- Expenditure Claim Statement (XLSX, 62 KB)
- Project Reporting Form (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- Infrastructure Canada: Infrastructure Project Signage Guidelines
To connect with the SCF program:
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.