COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
Online tool to assess quality and suitability of raw water sources for privately owned and operated supplies.
Analysis and treatment
- Alternatives for iron removal — different processes for removing iron from water.
- Farm water quality testing
- Farm water sampling
- Methane gas in well water — mechanical devices used to provide frost free, sanitary well connections.
- Removing hydrogen sulphide gas from water — water treatment options for removing hydrogen sulphide.
- Reverse osmosis water treatment — water treatment process that forces water through an extremely fine membrane to remove dissolved minerals.
- Shock chlorination and control of iron bacteria — conditions for iron bacteria growth and how to treat it.
Dugouts and dams
- Aeration of dugouts or ponds with compressed air — improves water quality by maintaining dissolved oxygen levels.
- Drought Proofing Farm Water Supplies — drought security related to your water source.
- Float suspended intake for dugouts — system for water quality in dugouts.
- Hydrated Lime Treatment — improves dugout water quality.
- Quality farm dugouts — latest research information on improving both the quantity and quality of dugout water.
- Small earth fill dams — alternative to dugouts where larger volumes of water must be stored.
- Monitoring well construction, installation and development — recommended and preferred protocols to construct, install and develop groundwater monitoring wells at confined feeding operations
- Farm water supply requirements — worksheets that can be used to calculate the farm water requirements.
- Small water filters for taste, odour and sediment removal — filters intended for use only with treated municipal water supplies or water that is free of microbial contaminants.
- Water distillers — use to remove most minerals, metals, organic chemicals and micro-organisms from water.
- Water softening — information about water softeners operation, five-cycle fully automatic water softeners, iron removal and general information.
- Choosing a water pump — different types of water pumps available and their advantages and disadvantages.
- Deep well jet pumps — process for pumping wells with a lift of 22 to 120 feet.
- Frost-free yard hydrants — installed to provide water to various locations in the farmyard during all seasons of the year.
- Pressure tanks — required in a farm water system to maintain pressure in the system when the pump is not in operation.
- Pump houses — provides excellent protection from freezing and contamination for the farm water pressure system.
- Shallow well jet pumps — practical for wells or reservoirs that require a total pumping lift of less than 5.5 m.
- Submersible pumps — centrifugal pump, which is attached to an electric motor and operates while submerged in water.
Wells and springs
- Dissolved gases in well water — major gases found in wells are methane, carbon dioxide, nitrogen and hydrogen sulfide.
- Groundwater — tool to find water wells in Alberta.
- Pitless adaptors — mechanical devices used to provide frost free, sanitary well connections.
- Spring development — preventing springs from being contaminated with livestock manure and becoming mud pits from livestock traffic.
- Water wells that last — water well maintenance.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.