Disaster assistance and recovery support

Types of disasters covered by the Disaster Recovery Program and how to apply for financial assistance.

Services and information


Recovering from a disaster is difficult. The Government of Alberta makes it easier by providing financial assistance after emergencies and disasters like floods that cause uninsurable loss and damage.

Disaster financial assistance can be accessed after a municipality applies for, and is approved for a Disaster Recovery Program (DRP) on behalf of their residents. Once a program is created, residents and other applicants can then apply for financial assistance. A state of local emergency does not have to be declared in order to receive financial assistance under a DRP.

Eligible applicants

Eligible applicants include:

  • homeowners
  • residential tenants
  • small businesses
  • landlords
  • farming operations
  • condominium associations
  • non-profit organizations and co-operatives
  • municipalities

Eligible disasters

Not all disasters qualify for the program. To qualify the disaster must:

  • be considered an extraordinary event
  • not be covered by typical average insurance policies (insurance is not reasonably or readily available for the type of disaster)
  • have caused widespread damage to property (an event is considered widespread if the disaster has caused damage to property over multiple areas and/or jurisdictions, extending over a large area or number of people)

To be considered an extraordinary event, disasters must also meet the following criteria:

  • rainfall – rainfall measures at least a 1 in 25-year level for urban areas, and a 1 in 50-year level for rural areas
  • streamflow – flooding caused by a waterway exceeds a 1 in 100-year level
  • ice jams – winter and ice levels are reviewed and compared to previous data before they can be considered extraordinary

Ineligible disasters

The Disaster Recover Program (DRP) only covers disasters that are considered uninsurable. Depending on the type of insurance available, the program may not cover:

  • overland flooding
  • wildfire
  • wind events

Overland flooding was previously considered uninsurable, but insurance companies have started offering insurance for high risk and low risk flooding areas. The DRP will assess whether this coverage is reasonably and readily available, and whether assistance will be provided for future programs. Visit overland flooding for more information.

Public Sector DRP Application Information

Public Sector refers to municipalities, Metis Settlements, and Government of Alberta (GoA) departments.

When a disaster or major emergency occurs in the province, Alberta Emergency Management Agency (AEMA) becomes aware of the circumstances, and monitors the events to gather information. As data becomes available, AEMA will assess the need for a DRP.

Please refer to the Alberta Disaster Assistance Guidelines for eligible items and limitations.

French guidelines: Directives d’aide aux sinistrés de l’Alberta. (PDF, 1.1 MB)

The AEMA will provide application forms to affected municipalities for the submission of timely and accurate information about the damage in their area. Part 1 of the application must be submitted within 30 days of the event start date.

To submit a Municipal and Métis Settlement application, or for more information, send Part 1 to the AEMA Field Officer from your region for more information.

GoA Ministries submit applications to GoA Recovery Initiatives by email: drp.goaprojects@gov.ab.ca.


To connect with the Alberta Emergency Management Agency:

Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Phone: 1-888-671-1111
Fax: 780-644-1044
Email: aema@gov.ab.ca

Alberta Emergency Management Agency
5th Floor Terrace Building
9515 107 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2C1