- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
The Continuous Emission Monitoring System (CEMS) Code was first published in 1998. The CEMS Code establishes requirements for the installation, operation, maintenance and certification of continuous emission monitoring systems. These requirements will ensure effective measurement, recording and standardized reporting of specified emissions and other parameters.
In addition, the Code establishes requirements for alternative monitoring systems and for the quality assurance and quality control of continuous emission monitoring data.
Mandatory electronic reporting of continuous emission monitoring data began in Alberta in 2007. Reporting of continuous emission monitoring data is required by facility operating approvals and Chapter 9 of the Air Monitoring Directive.
CEMS Code revision
Revision of the CEMS Code is complete. Feedback from stakeholders on 2 drafts has been used to develop the final revised Code. The revised CEMS Code (2021) will take effect January 1, 2022 and at that time supersede the 1998 Code.
Sign up for the CEMS mailing list to stay informed on upcoming information and training webinars as well as any notifications on the CEMS Code or CEMS data reporting.
Questions on the revised CEMS Code can be submitted to:
Email: [email protected]
Revised CEMS Code and supplementary documents
- Revised CEMS Code 2021
- Summary of Changes in Revised CEMS Code (PDF, 162 KB)
- CEMS Code Correlation Table (1998 to 2021) (PDF, 117 KB)
- Feedback Received and Responses on Revised CEMS Code Draft 2 (PDF, 514 KB)
- Predictive Emission Monitoring System (PEMS) Methodology Guide V1.0 – To come
- Feedback Received and Responses on Draft PEMS Methodology Guide – To come
Stakeholder information webinars
- Revised CEMS Code Draft 2 Webinar – October 13, 2020
- CEMS Code Draft 2 Questions and Responses (PDF, 62 KB) – October 13, 2020
CEMS User Manual
The CEMS User Manual provides CEMS data providers with guidance on file formatting, coding and submission of CEMS data.
- Electronic Reporting of CEMS Information User Manual
- Archive – Electronic Reporting of CEMS Data (PDF, 35 KB)
The CEMS User Manual is currently being updated and will be posted soon.
Final verification of electronically submitted data is required; this can be done via the industrial sign-off page. Contact the CEMS user coordinator for a username and password.
CEMS mailing list
This automatic email system distributes information on updates to the CEMS Code, CEMS monitoring and electronic reporting to subscribers. Subscription to this list is open to all department staff, industry, NGOs and consultants, as well as interested members of the general public.
Use the form below to subscribe or unsubscribe from the CEMS mailing list.
The information collected through the Continuous emissions monitoring page will be used for distributing information and updates to the CEMS Code, CEMS monitoring and electronic reporting to subscribers.
The contact information collection is authorized under section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act.
If you have any questions about the collection of this information, you can email [email protected].