You should cancel your business name when:
- you wind up or sell your trade name
- you dissolve your partnership
- you cancel the registration of your Alberta or extra-provincial limited partnership or your extra-provincial limited partnership is cancelled in your home jurisdiction
- you cancel the registration of your Alberta or extra-provincial limited liability partnership or your extra-provincial limited liability partnership is cancelled in your home jurisdiction
Service providers will charge a service fee to process your cancellation. See the Registry agent product catalogue.
How to apply
Step 1. Fill out the forms
Use these sample forms for the cancellation notice or create your own forms.
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Wind up or sell your trade name
Wind up or sell your trade name (PDF, 150 KB)
Dissolving your partnership
Dissolve your partnership (PDF, 152 KB)
Special Authority to Execute a Declaration (PDF, 2.0 MB)
Cancelling your Alberta or extra-provincial limited partnership (LP)
Notice to Cancel Alberta/Extra-Provincial Limited Partnership (PDF, 235 KB)
Special Authority to Execute a Registration (PDF, 2.0 MB)
Cancelling your Alberta or extra-provincial limited liability partnership (LLP)
Cancelling an extra-provincial registration in BC or Saskatchewan
If your Alberta LLP or LP registration has been cancelled and the business is currently extra-provincially registered in BC or Saskatchewan or if your business no longer operates in those provinces, you also need to complete one or more of the following updates:
- Cancel BC extra-provincial registration of Alberta LLP (PDF, 182 KB)
- Cancel Saskatchewan extra-provincial registration of Alberta LLP (PDF, 1.0 MB)
- Cancel BC extra-provincial registration of an Alberta LP (PDF, 170 KB)
- Cancel Saskatchewan extra-provincial registration of an Alberta LP (PDF, 2.0 MB)
There is no cost to register a BC or Saskatchewan update but you must send those forms to Alberta Corporate Registry by fax or email:
If your LP or LLP home jurisdiction is British Columbia or Saskatchewan, there are special processes for changing or cancelling your registration in Alberta. Contact your home jurisdiction registry office for more information.
Step 2. Submit your application
Bring the following to a an authorized Corporate Registry service provider:
- your completed form
- valid ID
- service fee
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)