You should cancel your business name when:
- you wind up or sell your trade name
- you dissolve your partnership
- you cancel the registration of your Alberta or extra-provincial limited partnership or your extra-provincial limited partnership is cancelled in your home jurisdiction
- you cancel the registration of your Alberta or extra-provincial limited liability partnership or your extra-provincial limited liability partnership is cancelled in your home jurisdiction
Service providers will charge a service fee to process your cancellation. See the Registry agent product catalogue.
How to apply
Step 1. Fill out the forms
Use these sample forms for the cancellation notice or create your own forms.
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
If you are still having problems opening the form, contact PDF form technical support.
Wind up or sell your trade name
Dissolving your partnership
Cancelling your Alberta or extra-provincial limited partnership (LP)
Cancelling your Alberta or extra-provincial limited liability partnership (LLP)
Cancelling an extra-provincial registration in BC, Manitoba or Saskatchewan
Limited liability partnership
If your Alberta LLP registration has been cancelled and the business is currently extra-provincially registered in BC, Manitoba or Saskatchewan or if your business no longer operates in those provinces, you also need to complete one or more of the following updates:
- Cancel BC extra-provincial registration of Alberta LLP
- Cancel Manitoba extra-provincial registration of Alberta LLP
- Cancel Saskatchewan extra-provincial registration of Alberta LLP (PDF, 1.0 MB)
There is no cost to register a BC or Saskatchewan update but you must send those forms to Alberta Corporate Registry by fax or email:
Email: [email protected]
If your LLP home jurisdiction is British Columbia, Manitoba or Saskatchewan, there are special processes for changing or cancelling your registration in Alberta. Contact your home jurisdiction registry office for more information.
Saskatchewan (PDF, 1.3 MB)
If your Alberta LP has been cancelled and the business is currently extra-provincially registered in BC, Manitoba or Saskatchewan, no action is required. Alberta Corporate Registry will notify the other provinces and your LP registration in those provinces will be cancelled.
If your Alberta LP has stopped carrying on business in BC, Manitoba or Saskatchewan, but is still active in Alberta, you must notify the other provinces to cancel your registration in that province
If your LP home jurisdiction is BC, Manitoba or Saskatchewan, and you no longer want to carry on business in Alberta, submit your cancellation request through Alberta’s Online Extra-Provincial Registration. There is no cost.
If your LP was cancelled in its home province, no action is required. Your home jurisdiction will notify Alberta Corporate Registry of the cancellation and your LP registration in Alberta will automatically be cancelled.
Step 2. Submit your application
Bring the following to an authorized Corporate Registry service provider:
- your completed form
- valid ID
- service fee
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.