The Bio-industrial Opportunities Section supports economic diversification through the development of Alberta’s bio-based resources and the circular bio-economy. The 3 focus areas include:
- identifying new opportunities for agricultural/forestry processing and production of value-added products from waste streams and byproducts
- maximizing value through fractionation of biomass to isolate high value ingredients
- facilitating commercialization and market access through industry development and extension activities
Services and equipment
The section provides a range of business development and technical services, including access to equipment and expertise located at facilities such as the:
- Bio-processing Innovation Centre
- Vegreville Fibre Processing Pilot Plant
The state-of-the-art processing equipment includes:
- wet and dry fractionation
- fibre decortication
- polymer reaction
- particle size and protein analyzers
There is a natural health product site licence and an industrial hemp licence in place. The Bio-processing Innovation Centre also has a clean room to manufacture natural health and cosmetic/personal care products.
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
For more information, see:
- Bio-industrial Opportunities Operations and Facilities Unit fact sheet (PDF, 298 KB)
- Fee Schedule (PDF, 120 KB)
- Application for Technical Assistance (PDF, 135 KB)
To connect with the Bio-industrial Opportunities Section:
Alberta Agriculture and Forestry
Bio-industrial Opportunities Section
O.S. Longman Building
4th Floor, 6909 116 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 4P2