EMERGENCY: Alberta has declared a Public Health Emergency to protect the health care system from COVID-19. Indoor social gatherings are the top source of transmission. All indoor social gatherings have now been banned. This ban will be enforced with $1,000 fines. Learn more
February 15 – is the annual deadline to submit nomination packages to be considered for induction in the current calendar year. If this falls on a weekend or holiday nominations will be accepted the next business day. Nominations are accepted throughout the year.
The objective of the Order is to recognize persons who have served with great distinction and of singular excellence for, or on behalf of, the residents of Alberta.
Remarkable Albertans are honoured each year in a special investiture ceremony for making significant contributions that will stand the test of time.
Eligible nominees must:
- be a Canadian citizen
- reside in the province of Alberta
- be able to attend the investiture ceremony
- not be nominated by themselves or immediate family members
- the Order cannot be given posthumously
Submit a nomination
Download and complete the form, and attach all supporting documents.
Please note that:
- incomplete nomination forms will not be considered
- the entire nomination package must not exceed 15, one-sided pages in total and must be submitted as one package
Step 1. Download and complete nomination form
Download and fully complete a nomination form (PDF, 516 KB)
Step 2. Prepare supporting documents
The following are to be included in this order with the nomination package (maximum 15 pages):
- completed nomination form (1 page)
- letter of support from nominator (2-pages maximum)
- letter of support from seconder (2-pages maximum)
- the resumé or curriculum vitae (CV) of the nominee (maximum of 3 pages)
- the nomination package should also contain other supporting materials such as letters of support from the community and relevant articles
All letters should:
- outline the author’s direct knowledge of the value and impact of the nominee’s contributions
- describe their personal perspective on why the nominee is deserving of recognition
- be single-sided and 8.5 x 11 letter format
Step 3. Submit the nomination package
There are 2 options to submit a nomination package. It can be done via email: [email protected] or by mail:
Lieutenant Governor’s Office
Alberta Order of Excellence Council
3rd Floor, Legislature Building
10800 97 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2B6
Please note that the entire nomination package must not exceed 15, one-sided pages in total.
After you apply
All nominations are to be kept confidential.
The Alberta Order of Excellence Council receives and considers the nominations of candidates. The council will contact selected candidates by June of each year.
Nominations not selected remain under consideration for up to 3 years.
- if your candidate makes a significant contribution or wins an award or honour after being nominated, please notify the council in writing
Nomination packages cannot be returned.