The Heritage Survey is a collection of records about non-archaeological historic places in Alberta. It contains information gathered as early as 1971, and most of the sites are older than 50 years of age.
The database includes, but is not limited to:
- grain elevators
- train stations
- geological and natural features
Each record may include:
- architectural characteristics
- historical information
- designation status
- location information
- photographs and other media
Being included on the Heritage Survey does not imply any legal protection.
Search the Heritage Survey database
The Heritage Survey is available to the public anytime online.
- Search the Heritage Survey database on the Heritage Resources Management Information System (HeRMIS) website.
You can access a paper version of the Heritage Survey in Edmonton by appointment.
Contribute to the database
Major contributors to the Heritage Survey include:
- historical societies
- heritage committees
- members of the public
The following three-part manual describes how to conduct a heritage survey project and how to complete Heritage Survey forms.
- Part 1 - Identifying Historic Places: Conducting a Municipal Heritage Survey (PDF, 13 MB)
- Part 2 - Identifying Historic Places: Heritage Survey Field Guide (PDF, 22 MB)
- Part 3 - Identifying Historic Places: Heritage Survey Codes (PDF, 16 MB)
- Alberta Heritage Survey Form (PDF, 569 KB)
- Alberta Heritage Survey Form: Additional Views (PDF, 270 KB)
New or updated records can be submitted online to the Alberta Heritage Survey. If you are interested in adding a record, contact the Heritage Survey.
If you are a consultant completing a Historic Resources Impact Assessment, the following document describes the required steps for recording and reporting historic structures.
To connect with the Heritage Survey:
Old St. Stephen’s College
8820 112 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2P8
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.