COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Tourism in Alberta 2019
High level summary of key tourism statistics in Alberta
In 2019, Alberta saw a total of:
- $8.2 billion in tourism expenditures – a decrease of 0.5% from the previous year
- 34.7 million person-visits – a decrease of 1.5% from the previous year
2019 Tourism expenditures and visitation in Alberta by market
|Market of origin||Tourism Expenditures||Person-visits|
|Canada||$5.9 billion||32.4 million|
|United States||$991 million||1.2 million|
|United Kingdom||$200 million||187,000|
|South Korea*||$59 million||52,000|
|The Netherlands||$45 million||43,000|
In 2019, tourism spending by visitors contributed to the provincial economy with:
- 68,000 tourism jobs (full-time equivalent employment in person years)
- $6.5 billion in contribution to Alberta’s GDP ($3.9 billion direct, $1.5 billion indirect and $1.1 billion induced)
- $1.1 billion in contribution from taxes on products and services, including:
- $530 million in federal tax revenue
- $371 million in provincial tax revenue
- $168 million in local tax revenue
Source: Alberta Jobs, Economy and Innovation (Statistics Canada Visitor Spending Model for Alberta – 2019 numbers)
The Government of Alberta collaborated with Statistics Canada to develop a new tourism visitor spending economic impact model for Alberta, which generates data based on visitors’ tourism spending in the province. The key indicators and assumptions from the new model differ from previous models.
For this reason, GDP, jobs and tax revenue data for tourism in Alberta from 2017 onwards cannot be directly compared to figures reported for 2015 and prior.
Visitor profiles by region
Visitor profiles provide information on visitor origin, purpose of trip, accommodation, length of stay, seasonality and spending in Alberta and tourism regions.
There are 2 visitor profiles for Alberta. One is a high level summary for all the visitors to Alberta and the other one is a detailed visitor profile for domestic visitors to Alberta.
- Alberta central region
- Alberta north region
- Alberta south region
- Calgary and area region
- Canadian Rockies region
- Edmonton and area region
You can find archived visitor profiles at Open Government.
The raw data for total Alberta tourism, domestic tourism, and tourism by region is also available in Excel format.
International visits and spending
See statistics on overnight person-visits and expenditures from specific countries between 2002 and 2019 while in Alberta.
Economic impact of tourism in Alberta by region
Economic impact studies provide a snapshot of an entire existing economy at a specific point in time.
It follows spending associated with tourism activity to identify changes on employment, income and government tax revenue at regional and provincial levels.
- Alberta (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- Alberta central region (PDF, 126 KB)
- Alberta north region (PDF, 167 KB)
- Alberta south region (PDF, 136 KB)
- Calgary and area region (PDF, 166 KB)
- Canadian Rockies region (PDF, 853 KB)
- Edmonton and area region (PDF, 806 KB)
You can find archived economic impact studies at Open Government.
Connect with the Data and Analytics Unit:
Email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.