Types of accounts
Your Alberta.ca Account status can be:
- basic (or unverified), which allows you to access simple services that require low level of assurance. These simple services contain personal information that does not have to be verified.
- verified, which allows you to access sensitive services requiring high level of assurance. These sensitive services contain personal information that must be verified.
You decide which account status makes sense for you.
How to create an account
To create an Alberta.ca Account:
- Go to the Create account page.
- Fill in the requested information and click “Submit”.
- You will receive a registration confirmation email. Click “Confirm and continue” within 96 hours to complete the registration process.
How to verify your account
To verify your account, you will need:
- a permanent address
- an Alberta driver’s licence or identification card
To verify your account:
- Once you have a basic Alberta.ca Account, click on the “Verify account” button.
- Enter your driver’s licence or ID card number.
- After you complete the second step, an activation code will be mailed to the address on your ID card within 10 days. It cannot be sent to another address.
- The activation code will be valid for 90 days.
- If the information on your identification is different from the information in your basic (or unverified) Alberta.ca Account, you will fill in your updated personal information during verification. The new information will override the old personal information.
- If the address on your identification is not where you reside or out-of-province, go to a registry agent and change your address on your Alberta driver’s licence or identification card.
- When you get the activation code, enter it on the Manage account page to complete the verification process.
Activation code not received
If you did not receive the letter with the activation code, you must wait 90 days until the activation code expires.
Once 90 days have passed since the activation code was generated, click the “Verify account” button on the Manage account page, then confirm and submit your information. A new activation code will be generated and will arrive in the mail within approximately 10 days.
A verified Alberta.ca Account must be verified again annually or when your Alberta driver’s licence or identification card expires. Annual verification provides a higher level of protection for your personal information.
References to the applicable regulation
Changing your personal information
To change your personal information, sign in to your Alberta.ca Account and select “Update your verified information” under Account status on the Manage account page. From there, enter your updated personal information and the system will verify your personal information against your Alberta driver’s licence or identification card records.
You may change some personal information online without affecting your verified account status. Such information includes:
- email address
- phone number(s)
If the information on your Alberta driver’s licence or identification card changes, you will have to verify your Alberta.ca Account again.
Changing information at a registry agent
Changing your information at a registry office does not automatically change your information on your Alberta.ca Account. You will have to verify your Alberta.ca Account again.
Changing information on other online services
If you change your information on your Alberta.ca Account, it will not automatically update on the other online services you choose to use or register with. Sign in to each service you have agreed to use to ensure your information is current.
If an account owner dies
If an account owner dies, one of 2 things will happen:
- An executor of the last will or someone with the power of attorney will inform the Alberta.ca Account administration of the death. The administration will suspend the account at that point.
- If no one informs the Alberta.ca Account administration of the death, the account will not be verified again on or before the expiry date. In this case the verified account status expires.
Cancel your account
To cancel your verified Alberta.ca Account:
- Sign in to your account.
- Go to the Manage account page
- Click the red “Deactivate account” at the bottom of the page.
- You will also receive a notification email with the subject “Your account has been deactivated”.
A verified Alberta.ca Account comes with an expiry date. The expiry date is either one year after verification or the expiry of your Alberta driver’s licence or identification card. If you do not verify again on or before the expiry date, your verified account status will expire and your account status will become basic (or unverified).
If the basic Alberta.ca Account is not used for an additional period of one year and 60 days, it will cease to exist.
If you think your account has been compromised, sign in and change your password immediately. Call the contact centre at 1‐844‐643‐2789.