The AINP continues to accept and process applications and Expressions of Interest (EOIs), with temporary adjustments to some application and assessment processes.
Find out how the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program is responding to COVID-19.
Applicants to the Self-Employed Farmer stream must meet the following criteria at the time their application is mailed to the AINP and at the time of assessment by the AINP. Meeting this criterion does not guarantee a nomination or permanent residence.
Farm management skills
Applicants must prove that they have farm management skills.
Proof of this may include, but is not limited to:
- financial documentation of an existing farm business
- documentation of education, training and work experience
- a proposed business plan for the farming enterprise you are considering in Alberta
- proof that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance your proposed farming business
Sufficient financial resources
Applicants must be able to invest a minimum of CDN $500,000 of equity in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
Documents must be provided that show a minimum net worth of CDN $500,000, or confirmation of the ability to access a similar amount of funds from other sources.
Applicants may be required to show the ability to invest more than the minimum.
Primary production investment
Applicants must document their investment plans in a proposed business plan.
Applications representing the best opportunity for growth relevant to Alberta's agri-food targets will be given priority.
The following individuals are not eligible to apply under the AINP Self-Employed Farmer Stream:
- refugee claimants, or individuals involved in a federal appeal or removal process; it is not the mandate of the AINP to intervene in the federal refugee claim, appeal or removal process.
- live-in caregivers currently living in Canada
- temporary foreign workers working and residing in a province other than Alberta
- international students studying in Canada, including students doing co-op work placements or internships as part of their study program
If you have questions about the AINP Self-Employed Farmer Stream:
Email: [email protected]