- New mandatory public health measures in effect April 6.
- Get vaccinated: Everyone 55+. Many 16+ with health conditions. Walk-ins for AstraZeneca.
Competitive tax system
Alberta offers investors one of the most competitive business tax systems in Canada. Alberta has:
- no provincial sales tax
- no provincial capital taxes
- no payroll taxes
Alberta has a combined federal and provincial corporate tax rate of 26%. The Job Creation Tax Cut Act will reduce Alberta corporate tax rate by 1% per year over 4 years, starting in 2019. By 2022, Alberta will have the lowest combined corporate tax rate in Canada at 23%.
Strong agri-processing sector
In 2018, Alberta's food and beverage processing industry was the largest manufacturing sector in Western Canada by sales with C$15.2 billion. Alberta exported $6.1 billion of processed products to markets worldwide. There were 26,300 people directly employed in the agri-food sector and 49,300 employed in primary agriculture.
Alberta has abundant high-quality primary products – including biomass – and is the third largest exporter of agri-food products in Canada. In 2018, Alberta’s agri-food exports reached $11.6 billion, which is 20% of Canada’s total agri-food exports. Major exports include:
- canola seed
- live cattle
- crude canola oil
In 2018, Alberta produced:
- 10 million tonnes of wheat – 31.5% of Canadian total
- 4 million tonnes of barley – 47.7% of Canadian total
- 5.9 million tonnes of canola – 28.9% of Canadian total
- 2 million tonnes of pulses – 30.5% of Canadian total
Global market access
- Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement
- Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership
- Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) (in the process of ratification)
Canada’s market access is supported by reliable and efficient transportation systems including road, air, rail and pipeline. This gives Canadian businesses effective participation in global supply chains. In addition, Alberta has excellent access to and from Pacific ports, and acts as a distribution hub in Western Canada.
Research and development facilities
Alberta has over 22 research and innovation facilities in areas such as:
- plant based-food development and formulation
- crops and cereals
- poultry and swine research
- food safety
Alberta’s food processors are active in a range of areas including:
- meat products
- grain and oilseed milling
- snack foods
- functional foods and natural health products
Investment attraction services
The Alberta government provides the following services for potential investors:
- site location assistance – introducing the firm to regional, municipal contacts with potential buildings or greenfield locations to show the company
- contacts who can address questions about establishing a business in Alberta, taxes, employment, regulations, and business match-making services
We also work with Alberta companies actively seeking capital investment or strategic partners abroad.
Contact the Agriculture Investment Attraction Section to access the services above.
How to incorporate a business
For information on how to incorporate your company in Canada or Alberta, visit:
- Incorporating federally – Government of Canada
- Incorporate an Alberta corporation – Government of Alberta
The New Western Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA) makes it easier for corporations, limited partnerships, limited liability partnerships and cooperatives to operate across provincial borders in Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan. Registration and reporting requirements have been simplified or eliminated.
Other programs and services
- Canadian Agricultural Partnership
- Agriculture Financial Services Corporation
- Canada-Alberta Job Grant
- Agriculture and Agrifood Canada/Canadian Partnership
- Business Scale-up and Productivity
- Strategic Innovation Fund
Connect with Agriculture Investment Attraction:
Mario Orellana, Investment Development Officer
Investment Attraction Section
Agriculture and Forestry
3rd floor, JG O'Donoghue Building
7000 113 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6H 5T6