COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
- List of Loan and Trust Corporations registered to operate in Alberta (updated September 16, 2021)
- List of Credit Unions registered to operate in Alberta (updated August 1, 2021)
- Credit Union Bulletin #31: Annual Filings for 2020 (December 10, 2020)
- Loan and Trust Corporation forms updated (October 1, 2020)
About the Alberta Superintendent of Financial Institutions
The Alberta Superintendent of Financial Institutions is responsible for the regulation of provincially regulated financial institutions, including:
- providing information on financial services in Alberta and resolving complaints or concerns toward a fair resolution for consumers
- minimizing the risk of loss to deposit holders and consumers of trust products in Alberta
- assisting financial service providers with registry services including incorporation, registration and filing requirements; complying with legislation; and promoting a level, fair and competitive environment for financial institutions in Alberta
- overseeing the deposit taking institutions marketplace in Alberta, including the corporate incidents of financial institutions and the regulation of financial institutions operating in Alberta
Please note: the federal Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) supervises and regulates federally regulated financial institutions to determine whether they are in sound financial condition. See the list of who is regulated by OSFI.
There is no affiliation between the Alberta Superintendent of Financial Institutions and the federal Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions.
The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC) ensures federally regulated financial institutions comply with federal consumer protection measures. See information about making a complaint against a federally regulated financial institution. Also, see the list of who is regulated by OSFI.
For more information, see:
- Financial institutions – Information for consumers
- Financial institutions – Information for financial service providers
- Financial institutions – Regulatory framework
- Financial service providers regulated in Alberta
Other governments – financial institutions regulators
- Federal: Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI)
- Federal: Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC)
- British Columbia Financial Services Authority (BCFSA)
- Manitoba: Consumer and Corporate Affairs
- New Brunswick: Financial and Consumer Services Commission
- Newfoundland & Labrador: Department of Government Services
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia: Finance and Treasury Board
- Ontario: Financial Services Commission of Ontario
- Prince Edward Island: Justice & Public Safety
- Québec: Autorité des marchés financiers
- Saskatchewan: Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority
Other regulatory organizations
Disclaimer: Links to other websites are provided solely for your convenience. The Government of Alberta does not control, endorse, or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy and timeliness of other websites, and is not responsible for the privacy practices of other websites. Read our complete disclaimer.
To connect with the Office of the Alberta Superintendent of Financial Institutions:
Alberta Superintendent of Financial Institutions
Alberta Treasury Board and Finance
434 Terrace Building
9515 107 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2C3
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.