COVID-19 Updates: Protecting Albertans from the Omicron variant.
- Over the last 24 hours, 57 new cases were identified.
- There are 200 people in hospital due to COVID-19, including 54 in intensive care.
- There are 1,773 active cases in the province.
- To date, 227,413 Albertans have recovered from COVID-19.
- In the last 24 hours, one COVID-related death on June 20 was reported. Three previously reported COVID-related deaths were determined to be non-COVID related and have been removed from the total.
- The testing positivity rate was 1.4 per cent.
- There were 5,019 tests (4,648,134 total) completed in the last 24 hours and a total of 2,173,181 people tested overall.
- All zones across the province have cases:
- Calgary Zone: 850 active cases and 92,652 recovered
- South Zone: 72 active cases and 12,273 recovered
- Edmonton Zone: 311 active cases and 76,214 recovered
- North Zone: 360 active cases and 25,869 recovered
- Central Zone: 179 active cases and 20,395 recovered
- One active case and 10 recovered cases in zones to be confirmed
- Additional information, including case totals, is online.
- Alberta has identified 38 additional cases of variants of concern, bringing the provincial total to 48,753.
- Currently, 207 schools, about 8.6 per cent, are on alert or have outbreaks, with 1,599 cases in total.
- 110 schools are on alert, with 267 total cases.
- Outbreaks are declared in 97 schools, with a total of 1,332 cases.
- In-school transmission has likely occurred in 902 schools since Jan. 11. Of these, 281 have had only one new case occur as a result.
- There are currently five active and 9,731 recovered cases at long-term care facilities and supportive/home living sites.
- To date, 1,259 of the 2,290 reported deaths (55 per cent) have been in long-term care facilities or supportive/home living sites.
COVID-19 vaccination program
- As of June 21, 3,854,208 doses have been administered in Alberta.
- 70.8 per cent of eligible Albertans aged 12-plus have now received at least one dose and 30.4 per cent are fully vaccinated with two doses.
- All Albertans aged 12 and up who received a first dose in May or earlier are able to book appointments for their second doses now.
- Legislation allows Albertans up to three hours of paid, job-protected leave to get a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Albertans are able to track vaccination rates in their local geographic area.
Open for Summer Plan
- Alberta has reached the 70 per cent threshold for Stage 3 of the Open for Summer Plan, which is slated to begin on July 1.
- Stage 2 of Alberta’s Open for Summer Plan is in effect until July 1.
Open for Summer Lottery
- Alberta’s government will hold three draws for $1 million each and many other prizes through the Open for Summer Lottery to incentivize Albertans to get vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Albertans are encouraged to book their COVID-19 vaccine appointment if they have not received their first dose, as soon as possible.
- Any Alberta resident 18 and older who has received a first dose of vaccine can register to enter for the first $1-million lottery prize. Eligibility for the first $1-million prize will close at 11:59 p.m. on June 24.
Enforcement of public health measures
- Fines for non-compliance with public health measures are $2,000.
- Employers and service providers can apply to implement a rapid COVID-19 testing program in their organization.
COVID Care Teams outreach
- If you or others in your home have been directed to self-isolate/quarantine by Alberta Health Services and are unable to do so safely at home, please contact 211 to discuss options, including accessing an assigned hotel to safely isolate (free of charge). Financial assistance may also be available in the amount of $625, upon completion of the self-isolation period.
Albertans downloading tracer app
- All Albertans are encouraged to download the secure ABTraceTogether app, which is integrated with provincial contact tracing. The federal app is not a contact tracing app.
- Secure contact tracing is an effective tool to stop the spread by notifying people who were exposed to a confirmed case so they can isolate and be tested.
- As of June 22, 315,419 Albertans were using the ABTraceTogether app, 69 per cent on iOS and 31 per cent on Android.
MyHealth Records quick access
- Parents and guardians can access the COVID-19 test results and immunization records for children under the age of 18 through MyHealth Records (MHR) as soon as they are ready.
Addiction and mental health supports
- Confidential supports are available. The Mental Health Help Line at 1-877-303-2642 and the Addiction Help Line at 1-866-332-2322 operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Resources are also available online.
- The Kids Help Phone is available 24-7 and offers professional counselling, information and referrals and volunteer-led, text-based support to young people by texting CONNECT to 686868.
- Online resources provide advice on handling stressful situations and ways to talk with children.
Family violence prevention
- A 24-hour Family Violence Information Line at 310-1818 provides anonymous help in more than 170 languages.
- Alberta’s One Line for Sexual Violence is available at 1-866-403-8000, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- People fleeing family violence can call local police or the nearest RCMP detachment to apply for an Emergency Protection Order, or follow the steps in the Emergency Protection Orders Telephone Applications (COVID-19).
- Information sheets and other resources on family violence prevention are at alberta.ca/COVID19.
Alberta’s government is responding to the COVID-19 pandemic by protecting lives and livelihoods with precise measures to bend the curve, sustain small businesses and protect Alberta’s health-care system.
- Legally, all Albertans must physically distance and isolate when sick or with symptoms.
- Good hygiene is your best protection: wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds, avoid touching your face, cough or sneeze into an elbow or sleeve, and dispose of tissues appropriately.
- Alberta Connects Contact Centre (310-4455) is open Monday to Friday, 8:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.