COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
On February 16, the Premier’s Summit on Fairness for Newcomers will bring together immigration stakeholders from across Alberta in-person and online to discuss actions to support newcomer success and drive economic growth.
Participants will also be able to learn more about Alberta’s path forward to attract skilled newcomers to help diversify our economy and create jobs.
Registration is now closed
Wednesday, February 16 from 8:30 am to 4 pm at the Calgary Telus Convention Centre.
In-person attendees will be required to:
- wear masks throughout the day, except when consuming food or drink while seated
The summit will include presentations and discussions about fairness for newcomers, opportunities for newcomers in economic recovery and the economic value of immigration.
Additional information will be added to the agenda closer to the event date. Check back for more details and updates on the event.
- Linda Nazareth, economist and author
- Topic: The economic value of immigration and the important role of newcomers in economic recovery and growth.
- Dr. Akolisa Ufodike, York University assistant professor
- Topic: The importance of recognizing newcomer qualifications for professional registration and labour market integration.
- Premier Jason Kenney
- Minister of Labour and Immigration Tyler Shandro
- Associate Minister of Immigration and Multiculturalism Muhammad Yaseen
Panel discussion sessions
Attendees can participate in one of the following panel discussion sessions:
- Panel 1: Fairness for newcomers: best practices and improvements in foreign qualification recognition and the occupational licensure process.
- Panel 2: Supports for newcomers to maximize their participation in Alberta’s economic recovery and growth.
A newcomer panel presentation will also highlight first-hand immigrant experiences.
If you have questions about the Premier's Summit on Fairness for Newcomers, contact:
Email: [email protected]