The following documents can be used to identify areas of the Municipal Government Act (MGA) relating to petitions to council and to the minister. The 2 documents provided are intended to supplement and explain specific sections or applications of the act.

For a legal opinion, please consult your solicitor.

You are urged to get an office consolidation of the MGA, including amendments, prior to initiating a petition. Copies can be obtained from the King’s Printer bookstore located in Edmonton.


Connect with Municipal Affairs:

Phone: 780-427-2225
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Email: [email protected]

For information related to official government documents, contact Alberta King’s Printer:

7th Floor, Park Plaza Building
10611 98 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta  T5K 2P7

Phone: 780-427-4952
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Fax: 780-452-0668

Was this page helpful?

All fields are required unless otherwise indicated.

You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.

Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.