This engagement has been archived
Ministry responsible: Community and Social Services
On January 19, 2018, the Minister of Community and Social Services announced a review of the Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD) program. A review of the program was recommended as part of previous work done on the PDD Safety Standards to explore ways to improve supports for persons with developmental disabilities.
A community-led panel was appointed to oversee the review. The panel included self-advocates, family members and service provider representatives.
Community engagement took place between October 22 and December 7, 2018. Albertans to shared their ideas in a variety of ways, including:
- attending a community conversation
- responding to an online questionnaire
- hosting a self-directed discussion
- sending a written, art or video submission
- providing a presentation to the panel
The review panel provided the Minister of Community and Social Services with a report on the results of the engagement.
- Read the report – Views of the Persons with Developmental Disabilities (PDD) program: successes, challenges and opportunities
The significant feedback shared during the PDD Review public engagement will inform the PDD program going forward. In keeping with the Alberta government’s commitment to open dialogue with the disability community, 2 new engagement mechanisms have been established:
- The Disability Advisory Forum will provide the minister of community and social services with advice on matters relevant to Albertans with disabilities.
- The Service Provider Partnership Committee will serve as a link between the Alberta Council of Disability Services and the Ministry of Community and Social Services to alleviate administrative challenges and other operational concerns.
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.