Acts and regulations
Here is a list of the key acts and regulations governing mineral development. You can find the complete list at the Alberta Queen’s Printer.
- Freehold Mineral Rights Tax Act: imposes a property tax on minerals (currently just oil and gas as provided in the regulations) in Alberta owned other than by the Crown
- Mines and Minerals Act: governs the management and disposition of rights in Crown-owned mines and minerals. This includes the levying and collecting of bonuses, rental and royalties (administration of portions of this act is shared with Alberta Environment and Parks).
- Ammonite Shell Regulation
- Mines and Minerals Administration Regulation
- Metallic and Industrial Minerals Tenure Regulation
- Metallic and Industrial Minerals Royalty Regulation
Other relevant legislation
- Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act
- Environmental Assessment (Mandatory and Exempted Activities) Regulation
- Environmental Assessment Regulation
- Forest and Prairie Protection Act
- Forests Act
- Historical Resources Act
- Law of Property Act
- Municipal Government Act
- Occupational Health and Safety Act (Mine Safety Regulation)
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulation
- Public Highways Development Act
- Public Lands Act
- Public Land Use Zones
- Metallic and Industrial Minerals Exploration Regulation
- Recreation on public land – Overview
- Special Areas Act
- Surface Rights Act
- Water Act
Connect with the Coal and Mineral Development Unit:
Coal and Mineral Development Unit
North Petroleum Plaza
9945 108 Street *
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2G6
* Couriers, please report to the 2nd floor.
Calgary (drop-off location only)
300, 801 6 Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2P 3W2
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.