COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
- Municipalities in Alberta (PDF, 248 KB)
- Glossary: Common words used in municipal government (PDF, 640 KB)
- Build Your Ideal Community (PDF, 134 KB)
Hands on art and design activity for students to build their own version of a community.
- Community Scan – Municipal government (PDF, 136 KB)
Building Communities Through Local Government: Grade 6 Social Studies Teacher Resource
The Alberta Education Grade 6 Social Studies program (General Outcome 6.1) focuses on citizenship, identity and democratic processes of decision-making within our society. The topic of municipal government is a natural place for students to investigate how issues, challenges and decisions are dealt with in communities. The 'Building Communities Through Local Government' resource provides teachers support to create opportunities for their students to explore municipal government in the context of their own and other communities.
You can find the following resources in Building Communities Through Local Government:
- Introduction and The Importance of Local Government
- Section 1: Get Personal
- Section 2: A Good Place to Live
- Section 3: Make Connections
- Section 4: Participate
- Appendix A: Graphic Organizers
Note: Since publication, municipal elections are now held every 4 years (instead of 3) as referenced in the material.
To request a printed copy of the 'Building Communities Through Local Government: A Resource for Teaching and Learning About Municipal Governments', contact the Municipal Sustainability Unit.
A French language version of the Grade 6 resource, 'Développer des communautés par l'entremise d'un gouvernement à l'échelle locale', is available in hard copy by contacting the Municipal Sustainability Unit.
Resource for municipal officials
Municipal officials interested in connecting with their local schools to share their experiences in elected office and administration may use the Building Communities Through Local Government: Resource for Municipal Officials.
- Municipal Profiles: statistical, geographical and organizational information about Alberta’s municipalities.
- Municipal population lists: population lists and statistics about Alberta’s municipalities.
- Elections Alberta: Building Future Voters is Elections Alberta’s Social Studies educational program. Designed for grades 6, 9 and 12, the goal of the program is to get youth actively involved in Alberta’s democracy.
- Civix: Student Vote: CIVIX is a non-partisan, national registered charity dedicated to building the skills and habits of active and engaged citizenship among young Canadians.
Connect with the Municipal Sustainability Unit:
Municipal Services Division
17th Floor, Commerce Place
10155 102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4L4
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.