The Irrigation Council is a provincial adjudicative agency reporting to the Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, established under Section 50 of the Irrigation Districts Act.
Search the list of public agencies to find the Irrigation Council's:
- mandate and roles
- code of conduct
- agency classification
The Irrigation Council consists of 7 members appointed by the Minister of Agriculture and Forestry; 5 public members and 2 government representatives, one from each of the departments of Environment and Parks and Agriculture and Forestry.
Public sector bodies are required to post online the names and compensation paid to:
- all council members
- employees who earn over a threshold amount (see Public sector body compensation disclosure)
This is a requirement under the Public Sector Compensation Transparency Act. The postings are required by June 30 each year and will be maintained for 5 years.
Compensation disclosure file
Download the Irrigation Council’s compensation disclosure (CSV, 2 KB).
The legislated powers and duties of Council include:
- Making recommendations to the Minister respecting any matter under the Act
- Monitoring the operation and financial performance of the 13 irrigation districts
- Granting approval for an irrigation district to expend money under a cost-sharing agreement between the district and the Government of Alberta
- Acting as an appeal body for matters specified in the Act
Carrying out decisions of the Irrigation Council, the Irrigation Secretariat is the administrative arm of the Irrigation Council. The Irrigation Secretariat is established under the Irrigation Districts Act and reports to the Executive Director of the Irrigation and Farm Water Branch of the Intergovernmental Relations, Trade and Environment Division of Agriculture and Forestry.
Persons specified in the Act may appeal specified matters to the Irrigation Council.
Section 167(1) of the Irrigation Districts Act outlines the persons and the circumstances in which an appeal may be commenced, and the timelines associated with the appeal process.
To connect with the Irrigation Secretariat:
Address for mail/courier:
Agriculture and Forestry
3rd Floor, Provincial Building
Room 328, 5 Avenue South
Lethbridge, Alberta T1J 4L1