Alberta Transportation collects traffic volumes on provincial highways to inform:
- potential construction activities
- maintenance needs
- road design requirements
Highway traffic data and statistics
For traffic data and statistics on:
- Alberta highways in or near your community, use the traffic volume data map roads
- within major cities, such as Calgary and Edmonton, contact the municipality’s transportation department
Traffic statistics are estimates only. Alberta Transportation does not assume any responsibility for the use of this data without expressed written consent.
Highway traffic data is updated every year by the end of March.
Traffic volumes at points on the highway network
The reports present average daily 2-way traffic volumes on Alberta highways.
In 2020, traffic data was collected from:
- 382 permanent automated traffic recorder sites on highways throughout the province
- turning movement counts at 562 intersections and historical turning movement counts to provide traffic volumes at nearly 7,000 points
Alberta Transportation also collects information to help determine:
- Annual Average Daily Traffic (AADT)
- Average Summer Daily Traffic (ASDT) – calculated May through September
Locations of traffic count sites on Alberta highways are identified by:
- control section
- traffic control section
These identifiers can help you locate sites on a map and select specific data for requests.
Access data about traffic volumes at points on the highway network (Excel format).
Traffic volumes for links on the highway network
These reports provide statistical information on:
- traffic volumes
- breakdown of various vehicle classifications
- travel on Alberta highways
Statistics are measured as weighted averages over:
- entire highways
- control sections
- traffic control sections
These statistics are estimated from data collected for Alberta Transportation.
Access data about traffic volumes on links in the highway network (Excel format). This information is also available in PDF format, along with other reports, abbreviations, definitions, weighting procedure, legal descriptions and municipal codes.
For more information about traffic counts on Alberta highways:
3nd Floor, Twin Atria Building
4999 98 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T6B 2X3