COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Create a food safety program
The information and resource provided on this page will help you and your organization to ensure you are following industry best-practice and government regulations in your food production business.
Some of the benefits of a food safety program include:
- increased food safety
- increased customer confidence in food safety
- meeting and exceeding customer requirements
- best practices reinforced constantly by staff
- maintain or improve market access
- Alberta Foodborne Illness and Risk Investigation Protocol 2017
- Environmental public health business information – Alberta Health Services
- Food retail and foodservices code – Ministry of Health
- Food retail and foodservices code (PDF, 417 KB) 2016 – Federal/Provincial/Territorial Food Safety Committee
- Food Safety Guidebook
- Global Food Safety Initiative
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point
- Meat Facility Standards
- Processed Meat Products Quick Facts
- Risk Mitigation Program, Canadian Agriculture Partnership
- Serving Safer Food Alberta guidebook (PDF, 16 MB) – Alberta Health Services
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)
- Codex Alimentarius, International Food Standards
- Food Safety – Government of Canada
- International HACCP Alliance
- Alberta Food Processors Association courses
- Environmental Public Health courses – Alberta Health Services
- Food Safety Training for Processors
- Meeting Customer Requirements
- Preventative Controls Training online course
- Food and agriculture processing videos
Alberta legislation mainly deals with hygiene requirements. Federal legislation covers specific food safety requirements such as food additives, process controls, allergens, composition, and labelling requirements.
- Dairy Industry Act and Regulation
- Livestock and Livestock Products Act and Regulations
- Marketing of Agricultural Products Act and Regulations
- Meat Inspection Act and Regulations
- Public Health Act and Food Regulation
- Food and Drugs Act
- Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act
- Canada Agriculture Products Act
- Safe Food for Canadians Act
United States of America
- Food Safety Modernization Act – Food and Drug Administration
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.