Schedule of Medical Benefits
Schedule of Medical Benefits (SOMB) is the fee schedule and list of medical benefits insured under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.
Effective March 15, 2021
See all SOMB lists effective March 15, 2021. These include:
- Medical Benefits Price List
- Medical Benefits Procedure List
- Medical Governing Rules
Codes and definitions
- Explanatory Codes
- Fee Modifier Definitions
- Dental Services – Price List
- Dental Services – Procedure List
- Podiatric Surgery – Price List
- Podiatric Surgery – Procedure List
- Podiatry Services – Price List
- Podiatry Services – Procedure List
- Schedule of Medical Benefits effective March 31, 2020
- Schedule of Medical Benefits effective October 1, 2019
- Schedule of Medical Benefits effective November 1, 2018, amended January 21, 2019
- Schedule of Medical Benefits effective November 1, 2018
- Schedule of Medical Benefits effective April 1, 2017
- Schedule of Medical Benefits effective January 1, 2017
- Schedule of Medical Benefits effective October 1, 2016
- Schedule of Medical Benefits effective April 1, 2016
Allied health schedules of benefits
Four allied health providers – oral and maxillofacial surgery, optometry, podiatry and podiatric surgery – have insured services covered under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan.
- Schedule of Podiatry Benefits
- Schedule of Podiatric Surgery Benefits
- Schedule of Optometric Benefits
- Schedule of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Benefits
- Allied Health Practitioner's Resource Guide
- Annual Care Plan template (PDF, 284 KB)
- Diagnostic Code Supplement (ICD-9)
- Facility Listing – numbers and functional centre codes, claim submission requirements
- Pharmacy Services Compensation Plan
- Physician's Resource Guide
Rural Remote Northern Program
The Rural Remote Northern Program (RRNP) compensates physicians who practice in under-serviced areas in Alberta.
The RRNP has 2 financial components:
- flat fee payment – paid to physicians who practice and reside in an eligible community
- variable fee premium – paid to physicians who provide services in an eligible community, whether or not they reside in an eligible community
- RRNP Flat Fee cover letter October 2009 (PDF, 36 KB)
- RRNP Flat Fee Application Form (PDF, 81 KB)
- RRNP Eligible Community Rate Table
The RRNP helps in the recruitment and retention of physicians to under serviced areas/communities in Alberta. RRNP has been part of the clinical stabilization initiative since September 2007.
For billing concerns, contact the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan office:
Email: [email protected]
Suspected billing abuse
To report suspected billing abuse, contact the Ministry of Health’s compliance and monitoring branch:
Email: [email protected]
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.