We gathered stakeholder and public input to develop a new provincial definition of elder abuse that can be applied consistently to policies and programs that address elder abuse and improve the safety and well-being of Alberta seniors. It’s felt the current definition is too broad to provide adequate direction, and it is not consistently applied across the province.
Elder abuse is a complex issue that requires a collaborative and cross-sector response. Through this work, we aim to:
- support a more unified government approach to prevent elder abuse
- enable service providers to develop targeted skills and supports
- provide clarity to responders and to affected seniors and their families
Survey from October 4 to 25, 2021
Results under review
Who is listening
Ministry of Seniors and Housing
Phase 1A: Elder abuse definition (stakeholders)
In June 2021, community organizations working in the areas of elder abuse prevention, family violence prevention, and seniors supports were invited to participate in discussion sessions on the definition of elder abuse as part of Phase 1A. Participants in these session expressed the following:
- relationship of trust was identified as being essential in the definition
- self-harms should be considered separately from elder abuse
- definitions for elder abuse and family violence could be aligned
- there are many commonalities between elder abuse and family violence, but the nuances that make elder abuse unique must continue to be considered
- there are situations where elder abuse can occur outside of the family, and responses to family violence and elder abuse must be responsive to the needs of each individual senior
Phase 1B: Elder abuse definition (public)
Feedback was collected on the proposed definition of elder abuse through an online survey until October 25, 2021.
Thank you to those who participated. We are currently reviewing feedback.
The updated definition of elder abuse will be used to improve information sharing and data collection practices.
- Working together to prevent elder abuse (June 15, 2021)
- Working together to define elder abuse (October 4, 2021)
Connect with the Elder Abuse Prevention Engagement Working Group at [email protected].
Last updated: November 10, 2021