Keeping Alberta Affordable: Eligible seniors and families with children under 18 can apply for $600 affordability payments. Learn more and apply now
Grant funding for new licensed child care spaces
The Alberta government is focused on building capacity in licensed child care. The Space Creation Grant will help enable up to 68,700 total new licensed spaces to be created by 2026. This includes 42,500 non-profit and 26,200 private spaces.
Applications for the grant funding are open to non-profit groups and licensed family day home agencies interested in creating new child care spaces or expanding existing child care programs. New and existing non-profit, facility-based child care programs and licensed family day home agencies may apply.
Creation of spaces will be targeted in areas of high need and high demand for child care spaces through 4 funding categories:
- expanding or creating new licensed facilities in locations identified as child care deserts (communities where there is limited to no child care)
- existing and new family day home agencies creating spaces in child care deserts (communities where there is limited to no child care) and areas of high demand
- expanding existing licensed facilities where there is high demand
- new licensed facilities where there is high demand
Per space grant amounts provided to eligible recipients will be up to:
- $6,000 per space for new licensed facilities in child care deserts (communities where there is limited to no child care)
- $1,350 per space for new family day homes in communities where there is high need or high demand
- $5,000 per new space for existing licensed facilities where there is high demand
- $5,500 per space for new licensed facilities where there is high demand
Applications are being accepted.
How to apply
Complete the application form on the Alberta Purchasing Connection (APC) portal. The portal has a number of resources to assist vendors in setting up a profile.
Supports are available after a vendor profile has been created on the APC portal. These include a line-by-line process document, as well as a mailbox link that can be used for specific questions.
Was this page helpful?
You will NOT receive a reply on your feedback. Do NOT include personal information. To get answers to questions, use Alberta Connects.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca.