Alberta Culture Days grant
Apply to become an official community celebration site during Alberta Culture Days.
Funding is now available for 2018 Alberta Culture Days.
Grant Application deadline is June 1, 2018 at 4:30 pm.
Alberta Culture Days funding assistance is designed to support Alberta Culture Days activities, events and promotions that engage public participation and inspire future involvement.
Applicants submit proposals according to the specifications and conditions set out in the grant guidelines.
Alberta Culture Days 2018 Celebration Sites must:
- provide culturally-related programming during:
- 3 days for Feature Sites
- 2 days for Host Sites
- 1 day for Pop Up sites
- ensure that all events/activities funded through the Celebration Site grant are free
- provide a budget outlining estimated revenues (including in-kind and/or leveraged funds) and expenses
Note: funding for a successful Feature Celebration Site will only be granted once every 2 years.
Organizations must be non-profit and registered (and in good standing) under one of the following Acts:
- Agriculture Societies Act
- Part 21 of the Business Corporations Act - Extra-Provincial Corporations
- Cemeteries Act or Cemetery Companies Act
- Companies Act, Part 9 (Nonprofit Companies)
- Libraries Act
- Societies Act of Alberta
- Special Act of the Alberta Legislature
- Special Act of the Parliament of Canada
- Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act and must be registered in Alberta under the Business Corporations Act
- Income Tax Act (of Canada and operating in the Province of Alberta (Charities))
- First Nations and Métis Settlements
- Foundations established and regulated under the province’s Regional Health Authorities Act
- Universities, colleges and institutes as defined under Alberta’s Post-secondary Learning Act
Organizations must have an Alberta-based address, which must be regularly monitored by an active member of the organization.
Municipalities are not eligible for funding but are encouraged to partner with an organization which meets the above criteria. The organization who meets the criteria will then act as the fiscal agent for the grant.
Selected applicants must spend funding in one or more of the categories listed below:
- artists fees, workshop fees, performance fees
- funds can only be used to compensate Albertan artists
- event or workshop materials
- for example, paint brushes, paper, costume rentals, etc.
- marketing and communications
- for example, newspaper ads, graphic design fees, etc.
- volunteer expenses
- for example, t-shirts (for identification purposes only), refreshments, etc.
- food and beverage
- up to 20% of the grant may be used for food and beverage if these costs can be directly attributed to the cultural activity (alcoholic beverages and bar services are not eligible)
- honorariums, wages and contract agreements with cultural workers and artists
- for example, ushers, stage managers, technicians etc.
- venue rental
- for example, any identified programming space
- equipment rental
- for example, lighting, sound, etc.
How to apply
Step 1. Review the Grant Guidelines
- Alberta Culture Days Grant Guidelines (includes FAQ's and sample application form)
Step 2. Fill out the application form and budget template
Filling and saving PDF forms:
PDF forms may not work on some mobile devices or browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
Step 3. Prepare an application package
Gather the following into an application package:
- Completed application form.
- Proposal letter:
- Indicate if your site will be a Feature Celebration Site (3 day event), Host Celebration Site (2 day event), or Pop Up Celebration Site (1 day event).
- Feature Celebration Site applicants must indicate if they would like to be considered as Host Celebration Site if not chosen as a Feature Celebration Site.
- Programming of events:
- A potential outline of what events and activities the organizing committee intends to offer.
- Events and activities must be held during the Alberta Culture Days weekend.
- Letters of support from community partners and potential partnership opportunities being considered.
- A budget outlining revenues and expenses:
- Indicate whether you are receiving additional funding support.
- Feature Celebration Site applicants wanting to be considered for Host Site funding must include a second budget that reflects up to $5,000 in funding.
Step 4. Submit the application package
Please send your completed application to:
Alberta Culture and Tourism
Alberta Culture Days 2018
10708 105 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5H 0A1
Reporting and requirements
The following are due no later than November 15, 2018:
- Final Report document (to be provided by Culture and Tourism)
- proof that the Alberta Culture Days' visual identity was used on promotional materials
- daily attendance numbers for events held
- financial reporting (receipts and/or cheque numbers) on related event costs
To contact Alberta Culture Days: