COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
The Alberta Culture Days grant is now closed.
Alberta Culture Days will once again be celebrated from September 1 to 30, 2021 to align with and complement Month of the Artist.
National Culture Days will be celebrated from September 24 to October 24.
Alberta Culture Days funding assistance is designed to support Alberta Culture Days activities, events and promotions that engage public participation and inspire future involvement.
Alberta Culture Days will continue to take place throughout September, making it easier for community organizations to host online or small in person events (depending on federal or provincial health guidelines).
Applicants must submit proposals according to the specifications and conditions set out in the grant program guidelines.
Alberta Culture Days 2021 Celebration Sites must:
- provide culturally-related programming during the month of September:
- Feature Sites – any 3 days during September
- Host Sites – any 2 days during September
- Pop Up sites – any one day during September
- ensure that all events/activities funded through the Celebration Site grant are free
- provide a budget outlining estimated revenues (including in-kind and/or leveraged funds) and expenses
Note: funding for a successful Feature Celebration Site will only be granted once every 2 years.
The following organizations are eligible to apply for funding:
Community nonprofit organizations who are registered (and in good standing) under one of the following Acts:
- Provincial Legislation (Alberta)
- Agricultural Societies Act
- Part 21 of the Business Corporations Act- Extra-Provincial Corporations*
- Companies Act, Part 9 (Nonprofit Companies)
- Libraries Act
- Societies Act of Alberta
- Special Act of the Alberta Legislature
- Federal Legislation
- Special Act of the Parliament of Canada
- Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act and must be registered in Alberta under the Business Corporations Act*
- Income Tax Act (of Canada and operating in the Province of Alberta (Charities))
- A First Nation or Metis Settlement in Alberta
- A University, college, or institute as defined under Alberta’s Post-Secondary Learning Act
*Must have an Alberta-based address which must be regularly monitored by an active member of the organization
Municipalities are not eligible for funding but are encouraged to partner with an organization which meets the above criteria. The organization who meets the criteria will then act as the fiscal agent for the grant.
Selected applicants must allocate funding in one or more of the categories listed below:
- artists fees/workshop fees/performance fees (funds can only be used to compensate Albertan artists)
- event/workshop materials (for example: paint brushes, paper, costume rentals, etc.)
- marketing and communications (for example: newspaper ads, graphic design fees, etc.)
- volunteer expenses (for example: t-shirts [for identification purposes only], refreshments, etc.)
- food and beverage (note: alcoholic beverages and bar services are not eligible)
- honorariums, wages and contract wages agreements with cultural workers and artists who are not already employed as staff by the applicant organization (for example: ushers, stage managers, technicians etc.)
- technology costs (for example: Zoom, WebEx, audio/visual technician services); equipment rental (for example: lighting, sound)
- venue rental (for example: any identified programming space)
- equipment rental (for example: lighting, sound, etc.)
How to apply
Grant intake is now closed
Step 1. Review the Grant Guidelines
- Alberta Culture Days Grant Program Guidelines (includes FAQs and sample application form)
Step 2. Fill out the application form and budget template
- Alberta Culture Days Grant application (PDF, 3.0 MB)
PDF form issues
Fillable PDF forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save the form:
- Save the PDF form to your computer – click or right-click the link and download the form.
- Open the PDF form with Adobe Reader. Fill it in and save it.
Step 3. Prepare an application package
Gather the following into an application package:
- Completed application form.
- Proposal letter:
- Indicate if your site will be a Feature Celebration Site (3 day event), Host Celebration Site (2 day event), or Pop Up Celebration Site (1 day event).
- Feature Celebration Site applicants must indicate if they would like to be considered as Host Celebration Site if not chosen as a Feature Celebration Site.
- Programming of events:
- A potential outline of what events and activities the organizing committee intends to offer.
- Events and activities must be held during the month of September.
- Letters of support from community partners and potential partnership opportunities being considered.
- A budget outlining revenues and expenses:
- Indicate whether you are receiving additional funding support.
- Feature Celebration Site applicants wanting to be considered for Host Site funding must include a second budget that reflects up to $5,000 in funding.
Step 4. Submit the application package
Email your completed application to [email protected] by May 14, 2021.
Financial reporting and requirements
The following are due no later than November 1, 2021:
- Final report and financial reporting must be completed and submitted to program staff by November 1, 2021.
- Organizations are encouraged to submit their accounting as soon as the project has been completed.
- Grant recipients must complete their financial accounting for the project using the Budget Template provided and include backup documentation as specified. The Budget Template will be provided to the organization and is also available on the program’s website.
- Recipients must provide access, upon request, to the Minister or Minister’s representative, or auditors engaged by the Minister, to all financial documents or records relative to all expenses and revenues related to the project including the program grant funding as set out in the agreement.
- Records should be kept for seven years from the date of the notification letter of file closure from program staff.
- Any recipient that does not comply with the reporting requirements will be ineligible to receive additional funding from any Government of Alberta grant program until acceptable reporting is provided.
Connect with Alberta Culture Days:
Alberta Culture and Status of Women
Alberta Culture Days 2021
905, 10405 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4R7
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.