COVID-19 Updates: Taking steps to return to normal.
The Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) continues to accept and process applications and Expressions of Interest (EOIs), with temporary adjustments to some application and assessment processes.
Find out how the AAIP is responding to COVID-19.
The Alberta Express Entry Stream allows Alberta to nominate a limited number of qualified candidates from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s Express Entry system.
General Alberta Express Entry Stream
Candidates who have demonstrated strong ties to Alberta or who can help support the government’s economic development and diversification priorities may be asked to submit an application.
International graduates from Canadian post-secondary institutions may also be asked to apply under this stream.
Accelerated Tech Pathway
Under the Alberta Express Entry Stream, candidates may be selected for expedited processing if they are currently working for, or have a job offer with, an Alberta-based tech industry employer in an eligible tech occupation. Refer to the list of eligible Accelerated Tech Pathway occupations (PDF, 165 KB).
The Alberta Express Entry Stream has 3 steps:
- Candidates must have an Express Entry profile with the Government of Canada to be considered under this stream.
- Candidates interested in applying under the Accelerated Tech Pathway must send information about their Express Entry profile and their Alberta employment or job offer with an Alberta tech employer to the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) by filling out an online form.
- All other candidates of the Express Entry stream must receive a Notification of Interest (NOI) letter from AAIP in their Government of Canada Express Entry profile. Candidates must email a copy of this NOI letter to the AAIP and state they are interested in applying to the AAIP.
- The AAIP determines if candidates meet the minimum eligibility criteria to apply. Candidates who meet minimum eligibility criteria will receive an email inviting them to submit an application.
- Candidates determine if they meet assessment criteria and submit an application. Complete applications go into a pool of eligible applications for consideration for processing.
- Candidates cannot apply directly to the Alberta Express Entry Stream.
- Candidates must be invited to submit an application. The AAIP invites candidates who demonstrate they meet minimum eligibility criteria. See the steps outlined above.
- You cannot use a nomination under a different AAIP stream to apply under the Alberta Express Entry Stream or the federal Express Entry system.
- If the AAIP discovers fraud or misrepresentation in an application, a candidate may be banned for up to 5 years from reapplying to the AAIP.
- Alberta Express Entry Stream nominees cannot extend their nomination.
As of October 1, 2020, the AAIP is charging fees for applications and services. Processes for submitting applications and requesting services have changed. Review the Eligibility, How to apply, and After you are nominated sections for details.
On February 16, 2022, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) was renamed to the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program. Our entrepreneur streams were also renamed.
Program eligibility criteria did not change. Candidates who submitted their application using our online portal must also now request a nomination extension in the portal. All other post-decision processes are unchanged.
The new program and stream names will be updated in the portal in the coming weeks.
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.