COVID-19 Updates: Protecting Albertans from the Omicron variant.
A new suite of online business applications we call 1GX (One Government eXperience) is making it easier to do business with the Government of Alberta. This modern solution supports many functions across government.
1GX creates one experience for suppliers of goods or services. Suppliers follow the same steps to bid, receive orders, invoice and get paid, regardless of whether they are working with one department, multiple departments or the entire Government of Alberta.
1GX uses the functionality of SAP Business Network applications to obtain the goods or services needed to serve Albertans. The SAP Business Network uses the SAP Ariba application to manage orders, invoices and payments, and SAP Discovery is used for sourcing (tendering or purchasing). Suppliers can access both SAP applications using a common login.
1GX is being implemented in phases, which started with a pilot in July 2020 before launching across most of government in December 2020. Suppliers are being phased in by departments over the coming months.
No cost to suppliers
There is no cost to suppliers when doing business with the Government of Alberta in SAP Business Network in 1GX. Suppliers can leverage automation to:
- view, download and respond to opportunities created in 1GX
- submit bids, receipts and invoices
- receive and fulfil orders
- see where payment is in the process online, anytime, and
- receive payment faster
Fees may apply if a supplier does business with other customers or purchases additional services in SAP Business Network applications.
Getting started in 1GX
The Government of Alberta is phasing in 1GX with current suppliers by ministry over the coming months. We recommend that suppliers new to 1GX and SAP Business Network watch the introductory Supplier Summit webinar on the Government of Alberta Supplier Information Portal. Instructions on how to get started are provided below by supplier type:
- Suppliers with existing contracts – instructions follow
- Suppliers (successful bidders) with new contracts – receive a purchase order via email and click "Process Order" to login to an existing account or create a new account in SAP Business Network
- Prospective suppliers – proceed to the “How to bid in 1GX section” later in this page
For current suppliers, the existing process to manage contracts will remain in place until they receive a purchase order or are contacted by the contracting department to complete the transition of their contract(s) to 1GX and SAP Ariba. Depending on the department's timing, that may not occur for many months.
Self-enroll in SAP Business Network
Current and new suppliers may start setting up an account at any time, but may have to wait until a contracting ministry is phasing in its suppliers. Our Quick Start Guide (PDF, 328 KB) outlines 3 simple steps to complete self-enrolment in SAP Ariba, the application in 1GX that processes orders, invoices and payment. Purchase orders contain a "Process Order" link with information on how to set up an account or add the Government of Alberta to an existing account.
The Government of Alberta offers 2 types of SAP Ariba accounts at no cost to suppliers:
- A standard account provides the basic features needed to conduct business from procurement to payment. A standard account is recommended for new, basic and low- to medium-volume users. It can be upgraded to an enterprise account at any time at no cost for Government of Alberta business.
- An enterprise account provides advanced features to store documents, send documents within 1GX, integrate an accounting system, create catalogues and access more support options.
More information is available on the Government of Alberta Supplier Information Portal.
How to bid in 1GX
Alberta Purchasing Connection (APC) continues to be the main entry point to do business with government. All Government of Alberta competitive opportunities are posted to APC. During the transition, some opportunities will be created in 1GX and some will be created in the standard format used by APC.
Opportunity notices created in 1GX will direct suppliers to login or register in SAP Discovery (free) to view and download the full solicitation documents, or respond to those opportunities. The Find 1GX Opportunities in APC Guide (PDF, 494 KB) contains 3 steps to help suppliers get started. The Quick Registration Guide (PDF, 724 KB) has detailed registration information for Discovery, if needed.
Follow the instructions in each opportunity in APC to bid. Learn more about doing business with the Government of Alberta.
More information and resources
- 1GX Quick Start Guide (PDF, 328 KB)
- Find 1GX Opportunities in APC Guide (PDF, 494 KB)
- 1GX Quick Registration Guide (PDF, 724 KB)
- Supplier Information Portal
Contact us for more information and assistance.
Connect with 1GX Supplier Help:
Connect with SAP Ariba for technical support:
Was this page helpful?
You will not receive a reply. Do not enter any personal information such as telephone numbers, addresses, or emails.
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.