COVID-19 Updates: State of public health emergency declared.
Advancing Futures is a transitional support program for current and former youth in government care aged 18 to 24. The program provides social and emotional supports and funding to eligible students while they pursue post-secondary studies.
To learn more about the program, visit our Prospective Students page.
February 1, 2022 – for studies from May to August 2022
Note: it can take up to 30 days after the application deadline for applications to be reviewed. Requesting updates sooner than this will not result in faster processing. It takes 8 to 10 weeks after the application deadline for applications to be fully processed.
How to apply
Step 1. Confirm eligibility
Read Advancing Futures' eligibility criteria.
Contact us if you still have questions.
Step 2. Apply to a program
Students must have applied to their program of study before applying to Advancing Futures. Students do not need to have been accepted into their program of study to apply to Advancing Futures. Proof of application to or enrolment in the intended program of study must be submitted when applying to Advancing Futures.
Step 3. Complete the application
Use the application form below and include a copy of proof of applying to a program of study.
Applications will not be considered unless accompanied by proof of application, conditional acceptance, acceptance or enrolment (issued by the institution).
Use this form to apply to Advancing Futures.
The personal information you provide is being collected under Section 33(c) of the Freedom of information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used to identify your needs for Advancing Futures' supports and funding and other related programs.
The personal information provided will also be used and disclosed in the application process, for ongoing verification, and the delivery of programs, benefits or services offered by the Government of Alberta, and for program evaluation and ongoing improvement.
After you apply
If your application is moved forward in our process, you will be contacted. At that time, you will be asked to submit the documents listed below.
Do not submit any of these with your application.
Start gathering these items now and submit them when requested. Do not submit original documents. Make copies or scan documents to send.
- Tuition and fee details (student-specific based on enrolment, once available)
- Course list (student-specific based on enrolment, once available)
- Detailed mandatory book and supply list (confirmed by institution when possible, or institution estimate)
- Academic upgrading plan and proof of pre-requisites for post-secondary program (for upgrading students only; issued by the institution)
- Unofficial transcripts (for students previously supported by Advancing Futures)
- Residence and meal plan fee information (for students residing in student housing; student-specific once available)
- Government of Alberta Direct Deposit form (for students who were not supported by Advancing Futures the previous academic year or who have changed their banking information)
- Declaration of Other Funding and Services form (if applicable, completed by the funder)
Supporting Documents (first-time applicants only)
- Copy of identification (must include full legal name and date of birth)
Additional Documents (students with dependent children)
- Copy of identification for dependent children (first-time applicants only, or if adding a dependent)
- Child Care Confirmation form (if applicable, completed by the child care provider)
Was this page helpful?
Your submissions are monitored by our web team and are used to help improve the experience on Alberta.ca. If you require a response, please go to our Contact page.
You will not receive a reply. Submissions that include telephone numbers, addresses, or emails will be removed.