Next application deadline: October 1, 2019
Application deadline information for the 2020/21 academic year: Advancing Futures will begin accepting applications for the 2020/21 academic year on March 15, 2020. The deadline to apply for funding for the 2020/21 academic year is June 1, 2020.
Winter course info submission for students currently supported by Advancing Futures: November 15, 2019.
Role of program coordinators
After students apply for the program, they will be connected with a program coordinator. Program coordinators review each application and provide individualized support throughout the approval process. Setting up student funding is just one part of their role; throughout the year, program coordinators will connect with students at least once a month and can provide:
- a friendly face (or ear, or keyboard) to listen to a student’s experiences
- coaching and mentoring as students plan for their future
- support with problem solving when facing challenges
- transition planning to help students achieve their goals
- referrals to resources or agencies that offer supportive services
- help figuring out life as a young adult
Learn more about the role of program coordinators.
Connecting with us
There are a number of ways students and program coordinators can connect, to make it easier to keep in touch. Students can:
- stop by the office
- call them
- meet them for coffee
- meet while they're at a student's post-secondary institution
- chat via Skype or FaceTime
- email them
Each Advancing Futures program coordinator is responsible for a specific group of institutions. For a list of program coordinators, visit the Contact us page.
Complete the survey and orientation
All conditionally approved students must complete the Sociodemographic Survey and Online Orientation once each academic year.
Gather institution information
Before they can be approved, all students must submit proof of:
- tuition and fee charges
- course enrolment, and
- book and supply requirements
This information must be issued by the institution, and must be student-specific.
Students who receive information from their school through an online student account platform should send their program coordinator screenshots of the information appearing on the account.
If schools do not use an online student account service, students should request the information from their school contact. Then, students should forward the information to their program coordinator. Paper copies can submitted in person, by email with a clear photo of the information, or by fax.
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Scholarship
The Alberta government established this scholarship to commemorate the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s Royal Visit to Alberta in July 2011. The scholarship recognizes the exceptional educational achievements of students who have been in care.
These $2,000 scholarships are awarded solely to 25 Advancing Futures students each year based on their academic performance the previous year. Applicants must be Advancing Futures students.
For more information on the eligibility criteria, application process and selection method, view the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Scholarship application form (PDF, 117 KB)
Forms and resources
Trouble opening or completing PDF forms?
Fillable forms do not open properly on some mobile devices and web browsers. To fill in and save this form:
- Click on the PDF link to save it on your computer.
- Launch Adobe Reader.
- Open the PDF from within Adobe Reader. You can now fill and save your form.
- Child Care Confirmation form (PDF, 77 KB)
- Declaration of Other Funding (PDF, 76 KB)
- Direct Deposit form (PDF, 590 KB)
- Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Scholarship application form (PDF, 117 KB)
- Transportation Assistance form (PDF, 75 KB)
- How to apply for child care subsidy
- alis - Scholarships and bursaries
- Stretch your dollars - Budgeting basics
To connect with the Advancing Futures program:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 310-0000 before the phone number (in Alberta)
Edmonton office/mailing address
3rd Floor, Sterling Place
9940 106 Street NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2N2
Main Floor, Suite #100 Lancore Building
1021 10 Avenue SW
Calgary, Alberta T2R 0B7