Since the beginning of July, Minister Madu has been meeting with municipal councils, Indigenous leaders and other stakeholders throughout the province.
Starting July 20, the first in a series of town hall meetings scheduled across Alberta will give the public an opportunity to voice their concerns about crime in their communities.
“We know crime remains a serious concern for people who live in rural Alberta. That’s why we’re reaching out to rural Albertans to talk about how we can shape the future of policing in our province to build safer communities for everyone, no matter where they live.”
Longstanding concerns about how long it can take police to arrive at the scene of an emergency prompted the government to launch the Rural Alberta Provincial Integrated Defence (RAPID) Response initiative earlier this year. Under RAPID Response, provincial peace officers in the Alberta Sheriffs were given expanded authorities to help the RCMP on urgent calls and to investigate a wider range of traffic offences.
The town hall sessions will also be an opportunity to discuss ongoing work to modernize the Police Act, as well as update the public on the progress of the government’s study on the feasibility of establishing a provincial police service to replace the RCMP in Alberta.
Minister Madu’s tour builds on outreach and town halls hosted in rural Alberta communities in 2019.
The first set of public town halls will be held mainly in southern Alberta, followed by events in the northwest part of the province. More locations will be announced in the coming days and added to the itinerary. Dates and locations are subject to change.
Town hall schedule
Tuesday, July 20: MD of Foothills
- 6 p.m. - 8 p.m., Millarville Racing and Agricultural Society, 306097 - 192 Street W
Wednesday, July 21: Claresholm
- 6 p.m. - 8 p.m., Town of Claresholm office, 111 - 55 Avenue W
Thursday, July 22: Cardston
- 9 a.m. - 11 a.m., Tanner Centennial Seniors Centre, 260 - 1 Street W
Thursday, July 22: Redcliff
- 7 p.m. - 9 p.m., Town of Redcliff office, 1 - 3 Street NE
Friday, July 23: Drumheller area
- 4 p.m. - 6 p.m., Munson Community Hall, 201 Main Street, Munson
Tuesday, July 27: High Level
- 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m., Best Western Mirage, 9616 - Highway 58
Thursday, July 29: Grande Prairie
- 6:30 p.m. - 9 p.m., Holiday Inn & Suites, Salon A & B, 9816 - 107 Street