Community organizations can apply for grants of up to $10,000 to plan and hold events showcasing local talent and boosting the impact and reach of existing cultural programs in their communities. Applications will be accepted until May 7. Culture Days events will take place throughout the month of September.
“I am delighted to announce that grant applications for 2021 Alberta Culture Days are now online. While COVID-19 made last year’s celebrations challenging, communities across the province rose to the challenge and delivered amazing events showcasing our homegrown talent. I am excited to see Alberta’s passion, creativity and talent on display during this year’s Alberta Culture Days.”
Funding for creation of celebration sites
While all communities are encouraged to host free public events celebrating culture, those approved for grants are designated celebration sites. These sites are divided into three categories:
- Feature sites, which present up to three days of programming, may receive up to $10,000
- Host sites, which present two days of programming, may receive grants of up to $5,000
- Pop-up sites, hosting one day of programming, may receive up to $1,000 in funding.
In light of ongoing concerns with COVID-19, prospective organizers of Alberta Culture Days events are encouraged to consider provincial health protocols that allow for physical distancing when planning their event.
- More than 241,000 people attended small in-person and online events last year. There were 943 events in 47 communities during Alberta Culture Days 2020, celebrating our unique culture, heritage, artistic diversity and provincial pride.
- The deadline to apply for an Alberta Culture Days celebration site grant is May 7.