Alberta’s government has created an investment-friendly environment by bringing in pro-growth policies, including the job creation tax cut and reducing red tape. The result is a growing economy that is attracting investment, including from Structural Truss, a design and manufacturing company. Structural Truss is investing $28.5 million into a new Fort Macleod facility, strengthening the regional economy and creating 33 permanent and 12 temporary jobs.
“I am pleased that Structural Truss is choosing to expand their operations in Fort Macleod. This investment will help bring even more jobs to the region, grow the local economy and support Alberta’s economic prosperity. Thanks to Alberta’s business-friendly policies and programs like the Investment and Growth Fund, companies can feel confident about investing in Alberta.”
Matt Jones, Minister of Jobs, Economy and Trade
“Hundreds of infrastructure projects are underway throughout the province, supporting thousands of jobs related to planning, design and construction. Investments like this help to ensure that industry is equipped to build the infrastructure that Albertans need.”
Pete Guthrie, Minister of Infrastructure
Alberta-based Structural Truss was established in 1981 in Fort Macleod. The company designs and manufactures engineered building systems such as roof trusses, open-web floor truss systems, prefabricated wall panels and laminated posts. The new 180,000-square-foot facility is projected to be manufacture-ready by the end of 2024 and will house a training facility to ensure Albertans have the skills they need to gain meaningful employment with the company.
Alberta’s government established the Investment and Growth Fund in 2021 to help companies like Structural Truss invest and expand operations in the province. For every $1 million the fund contributes to Alberta investment, approximately $70 million is forecast to be spent in the province. The nearly $1 million in funding for Structural Truss comes from the fund’s rural stream, which helps areas outside Edmonton and Calgary attract key investments.
“Structural Truss’s investment in the new Fort Macleod facility marks a significant milestone in Alberta's economic growth, reinforcing the region's potential and resilience. With support from the Investment and Growth Fund, Alberta's commitment to fostering sustainable development and job creation remains unwavering. By strategically nurturing key sectors, the government continues to pave the way for robust economic development and community prosperity.”
“The Alberta government’s support for our new production facility is a big boost for doing business in a small rural Alberta community. Since our early beginnings in the 1980s, it has been incredibly rewarding and exciting to see our operations’ growth alongside the growth of Fort Macleod. This expansion means we can better support our customers, our employees and, most of all, continue growing in our local community.”
- The Investment and Growth Fund is designed to be offered in select late-stage investment discussions by six intake partners.
- Recent investments supported by Investment and Growth Fund funding include:
- S3 Group developing a 22,000-square-foot facility in Medicine Hat, creating 100 new permanent jobs and 14 temporary jobs.
- English Bay constructing a 100,000-square-foot factory in Stony Plain, creating 70 new permanent jobs and 90 construction jobs.
- Applexus Technologies establishing its Canadian headquarters in Calgary, creating 125 permanent jobs.
- Siwin Foods expanding its operations with a new food production facility, creating 50 permanent jobs and 50 construction jobs in Edmonton.
- Southland Trailers expanding its operations and doubling its production capacity in Lethbridge County, creating 253 permanent and 25 construction jobs.