In her letter, the Premier outlines her expectations that Alberta communities are supported through strategies and investments that will bolster the visitor economy and recreation, and asks Minister Schow to deliver on platform commitments to Albertans, including:
- Establishing a Community Recreation Centre Infrastructure Fund that invests at least $80 million over four years in small and mid-sized projects such as indoor and outdoor hockey arenas and rinks, community pools, indoor turf centres, pickle ball courts, sports fields and courts, and other recreational facilities.
- Investing at least $10 million over five years to improve air access options for visitors from high-value markets.
The Premier also tasks Minister Schow with:
- Developing an international games bidding policy and legislation (if necessary) to ensure future international gaming bids using substantial provincial taxpayer dollars are subject to transparent public disclosure requirements and cost/benefit analysis and include mandatory referenda for affected communities when appropriate.
- Supporting the Minister of Immigration and Multiculturalism, who is the lead, in establishing a dedicated tourism and hospitality immigration stream in Alberta.
- Assessing the advantages and disadvantages of having all of Alberta’s tourism levy invested in tourism-related growth initiatives and making recommendations based on the findings.
- Continuing to develop and implement a long-term provincial tourism strategy.
- Working with the Minister of Jobs, Economy and Trade, assist in designing a ministry-specific job-attraction strategy to raise the awareness of young Albertans (aged 16 to 24) and adults changing careers of the skilled trades and professions available in each economic sector, including pathways for education, apprenticeship, and training.
“I am honoured to lead Alberta's new Ministry of Tourism and Sport, showcasing our province as a captivating destination for visitors and athletes alike. Our dedicated team will work with communities and businesses to showcase the beauty of Alberta, create lasting memories and propel our tourism and sports industries to new heights."